Stepper Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepper Motor

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help.

I feel I’ve bitten off more than I can chew here but a lack of a willing professional has forced my hand really.

My Maestro is a 1.6 Auto petrol and some time in the late 90’s the car had a manual choke conversion kit fitted. There was nothing wrong with the auto choke but the previous owner preferred a manual choke.

I’ve had a few issues with the car running because of the manual choke and wanted the stepper motor reinstated for some time. I couldn’t find anyone to do the work so decided to do it myself.

Today I fitted the stepper motor back on the car, luckily all the electrics etc were still in place and in working order.

I’ve started the car and it does run and I can hear the stepper adjusting. I haven’t tried tuning it yet and it is running rough at the moment.

The biggest concern I have is that is smoking a little, something it’s never done before.

Can anyone offer any tips or ideas on why it’s started smoking, will this just be down to the fact it needs tuning? Should I have replaced anything else when I fitted the stepper?

Thanks

The stepper motor controls more than just starting the car, it also controls the running of it. As its smoking what colour is the smoke, also you say you've had issues previously before puiing it on, are there new issues related.? The carb may just need fine tuning, there should a carb control ecu on the roof of the glove box if the stepper isn't working correctly
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

The smoke is very pale so I couldn’t be 100% sure of it’s colour.
      The car is an automatic so really needs the stepper to run well.
      I’ve had a problem with the car flooding sporadically over the past couple of years.
      The only new issue is this smoking. I’m going to have a fettle today and see if I can get it running better.
      There’s an ECU on the near side by the battery….

Comment

Ecu near the battery is the ignition ecu, the fuel one is on top of the glove box. If when you turn the ignition on the rod on the carb pops out and adjusts the carb to enrich it when cold, once warned up the rod should move back and lower the revs.
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Working...
        X