Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaded petrol

Hi
    I’m new to the site and mistakenly posted on the Montego site.
    I’ve just bought a 1989 Maestro 1600 automatic and need some advice regarding fuel. Obviously leaded is no longer available, so I’m wondering if unleaded premium would be ok.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    SethD

It was towards the end of 1988 that Austin Rover re-engineered the 1.6 S-series engine to run on unleaded petrol (hardened valve seats). I had a new Rover 216 in October 1988 which was not compatible, but the change happened around that time.

If your car is still wearing its original 'slam panel' there may be a '95 RON' sticker attached to it. This will indicate if your car was originally compatible with unleaded.

If you can post the first few characters of your engine number on here (e.g. 16H F24) somebody else may be able to check it against a parts microfiche or similar.

If your engine is compatible, run it on 'super' unleaded E5 (BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power etc). I personally would avoid the use of the latest E10 fuel, other than on odd occasions when you cannot easily get E5. If not compatible, you should use an additive such as Tetra Boost from time to time, just to keep some lead in the system..

1983 (Y) MG 1600
    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
    1990 Clubman D
    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
      seth

Comment

I’ve discovered a gas analysis test report, dated 2010, stating the fuel as unleaded, so I think I can accept that as fact.

Comment

the analysis report will just be what the previous owner was using - as that's all they could buy 2010, doesn't mean your engine should run on unleaded...Unless I can find definitively on my cars i can run unleaded I use castrol valvemaster additive in each fill up.
          Silver MG Maestro - C555, needs some anti rust love

Comment

Thanks Nellew
            I think you are right. Not worth taking a chance. I’ll use an additive in future.
            Appreciate your help.
            SethD

Comment

Austin Rover changed over in 1989 their 1.6 engines to unleaded if your engine is 16HE 54/56 then you're OK to use unleaded. Best to stay with premium fuel though.

Comment

Working...
              X