X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator bracket advice

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all.

A quick introduction.

I'm using a Rover T16 engine in a kit car I'm building. The engine had a large cast aluminium assembly which contained the water pump, power steering pump and air conditioning pump. It also formed part of the bracket that the alternator mounts on.

The kit car doesn't use the PS or air con and the assembly was generally a bit big and heavy so I've replaced the water pump with an electric version and binned the whole piece of cast aluminium nonsense. The problem is, there is now nowhere to mount the alternator.

According to Wikipedia, the Rover 2 litre 'T' series engine is basically a turbo charged version of the Rover 'M' series engine which is turn is a 16v version of the Austin 'O' series which is turn is OHC version of the 'BL' series.. so what I'm getting at is the cylinder block I have should be the same as the blocks found in 2 litre Montegos.

Can anyone confirm this is true? If so, am I also right in thinking the aux/fan belt only drives the alternator on the 'O' series Montegos? I'm thinking I could use an 'O' series alternator mount to attach the alternator to my 'T' series - it may need some modifying but must be easier than making one from scratch...

Many thanks in advance
    Mike

think you can fit all from O series (water pump, alternator) just fit core plug on the block where bracket was for T series.
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Comment

Thanks for your reply Charlie

Does anyone on these forums have a stock of 'O' series parts they'd be willing to sell?

Cheers

Comment

I'm currently stripping a 2.0 Maestro. Engine bay currently "intact", but will be stripping it all out on Monday (Hopefully).

I may be too far away being in Wiltshire, but if you let me know what you need, I may be able to sort something out.

Alternately, there may be some one closer ?

Comment

Thanks Mal,

Did you make a start on the Maestro? Could you post a photo of the alternator bracket out of the car and a photo of the engine block where it was previously attached? If the bracket is suitable would you be able to post it to me please? I can send monies via paypal or BACS.

Cheers buddy

Comment

Just a quick bump, I'm still after an 2.0 litre 'O' series alternator mount, alternator and bottom pulley. I'm not sure how these changed over the years but I know the parts from a 1991ish Montego will fit. Anyone breaking a car or engine?

Cheers

Comment

I've got spare alternators here, my son should have the adjusting link bits, and we might have a mounting bracket on a spare block (but they are stored 40 minutes away). The bottom pulleys are absolute swine to remove in my experience so might be hard to obtain.
              midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Hi Dave, thanks for your comment. How much would you be looking for those bits delivered? Do you visit the storage place regularly? As I could do with a photo of the bracket to make sure it fits. I bought a bracket of flebay back along and it is completely the wrong size.

Cheers

Comment

should be over at storage in 1 to 2 weeks; son moved house yesterday so his spares are not exactly well-sorted at present but I'll ask him later this week too.
                  midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Working...
                  X