X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Autochoke Wierdness

1986 Montego 1.6HL

Latest Autochoke problem presents as follows;

On starting the car from cold, the choke doesn't engage. You can't hear the stepper motor whirr when the ignition is turned on. The car starts but idles where it should when warm. This makes keeping the car running for the first few miles a bit of a challenge.

Once warm, the temp gauge reads normal and points just below half on the gauge. In slow/queueing traffic is moves to just above half. The high temp flashing warning light flashes after only a few miles of use and is more often flashing than not, despite the needle in the gauge showing 'correct' temperature.

My theory is that the temp sensor in the block is knackered, and fooling the autochoke into thinking the car is hot all the time, even when starting from cold. I can pull the plug off this sensor and I am fairly certain this should prompt the stepper motor to put the car on full choke - but it does nothing.

The one thing I can't fathom is the temp gauge giving what seems to be correct readings at all times?

I've had the Stepper Motor Fastcheck out and the motor extends and retracts as it should using the Fastcheck equipment.

Temp sensor or fuel EcU.
    Flashing high temp light when cold is usually a sign the fuel ECU is stuffed.

Had it on the 1.6 estate, once swopped for new one all was well .

Comment

Hi Rich

As above really it is generally an ECU problem when the high temp warning light flashes whilst the temp gauge reads otherwise. If you do get a long period of red warning light flashing if pulling off the coolant sensor plug doesn't extinguish the light then you can safely rule out the sensor.

The removing of the coolant sensor plug at normal temp should put the stepper motor into fast idle on a Montego. Only the very early Maestro's went to full choke with the coolant sensor disconnected, Austin Rover realised this was a big problem if the sensor wiring developed an open circuit so they modified all the ECU's.

Regards, Gary.

Comment

Working...
      X