Montego 2.0HLS - Early O Series engine SEIZED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montego 2.0HLS - Early O Series engine SEIZED

When I saved this Montego 2.0HLS back in March, I knew it would need work to the engine. The previous owner claims that the car was running when parked up in 1999 due to a leaky water pump and oil pump, but that now the engine was stuck. This was confirmed when I tried to turn her over when she arrived. It just clunks when I turn the ignition key. I have soaked diesel down the bores several times and there is no improvement to date. I fear that the engine may be damaged more than I have been made aware. I have taken the expansion tank off and it weighs a ton. It feels like it has a solid deposit in the bottom but I can't see it. There is also a solid powdery deposit inside the thermostat housing. What could this be? I guess my next job should be to whip the head off? I'm not a mechanic so any advice on the way forward would be appreciated. I'd like to rescue the original 80k mile early O Series engine if I can...
    Attached Files
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

How about putting some fresh engine oil in and towing it at speed putting it in 3rd gear and slowly start lifting the clutch to try and release it?

Comment

I do have a spare early engine if you need it Ed
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Remove the alternator - Twice I've had a seized alternator give all the symptoms of a seized engine. Both times cutting the belt off has proven the engine to be ok.
        If this doesn't help then:
        Fill the engine bores with 100ml of diesel each and leave the plugs out. Leave overnight
        Put a big extension bar on the crank pulley and then try to move it.
        If it doesn't move apply more force until it does or you undo the crank pulley bolt.
        If it moves a little but then locks up then check the cambelt isn't broken

Otherwise it is a case of taking the head off and seeing what lurks beneath.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          I do have a spare early engine if you need it Ed
          Thanks Jeff, I'll definitely take you up on that if I can't get it going.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
            Remove the alternator - Twice I've had a seized alternator give all the symptoms of a seized engine. Both times cutting the belt off has proven the engine to be ok.
            If this doesn't help then:
            Fill the engine bores with 100ml of diesel each and leave the plugs out. Leave overnight
            Put a big extension bar on the crank pulley and then try to move it.
            If it doesn't move apply more force until it does or you undo the crank pulley bolt.
            If it moves a little but then locks up then check the cambelt isn't broken

Otherwise it is a case of taking the head off and seeing what lurks beneath.
            Thanks Dan. Interestingly, someone else has suggested the alternator, so before any dismantling, I'll check this before I do anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
              Thanks Jeff, I'll definitely take you up on that if I can't get it going.
              I will drop the rear doors off tuesday morning Ed

Comment

If there is that much solid deposit in the header tank and thermostat what about the water pump? Maybe worth taking off if it's not the alternator. My MG Midget had been stood 30 years, a very small amount of diesel down the bores was enough to free it. It is still getting rebuilt though, just interested to see if I could get it free!

Comment

I think the engine blew up before it was laid up, and I either haven't been advised honestly by the previous owner or they were unaware how damaged it was back in 1999.

Either way, its going to be a couple of weeks until I can make a start on dismantling, but I may be lining up a replacement engine in the meantime.

With the amount of projects I have going at the moment, I might just mothball it and leave it until some of my other projects are nearing completion.

Comment

I have some time off next week. I'm going to have another attempt at freeing off this engine. Watch this space!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                      I have some time off next week. I'm going to have another attempt at freeing off this engine. Watch this space!
                      Replacement engine still on offer atm Ed

Comment

i think you need to remove the head to see what state the engine bores are like.as water over 15 years in the cylinder bores they mite be well rusted

Comment

Originally posted by BIGDAVE View Post
                          i think you need to remove the head to see what state the engine bores are like.as water over 15 years in the cylinder bores they mite be well rusted
                          Agreed, I am going to whip the head off next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                            Replacement engine still on offer atm Ed
                            Thanks Jeff. I'll probably know whether this will be necessary by the end of next week.

Comment

Bore number 2 perhaps? . An hour with penetrative fluid in the bores. The other three drained away quickly, number 2, not so much...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X