No announcement yet.

Montego 2.0HLS - Early O Series engine SEIZED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just been out to reapply penetrating fluid and lightly tap each piston round the edges with a wooden block. What is interesting is that all four Pistons move slightly in the bores when I tap them, so they can't be that stuck?! I've also just done the clutch test and with the clutch pedal down, and in gear, the car freely rolls forward. I assume that means the clutch is working correctly? I recall somebody suggesting spinning the flywheel manually. How is this done as it seems very hard to move. I plan to drop the sump when I have more time but would like to try anything else I can in the meantime.
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
      I've just been out to reapply penetrating fluid and lightly tap each piston round the edges with a wooden block. What is interesting is that all four Pistons move slightly in the bores when I tap them, so they can't be that stuck?! I've also just done the clutch test and with the clutch pedal down, and in gear, the car freely rolls forward. I assume that means the clutch is working correctly? I recall somebody suggesting spinning the flywheel manually. How is this done as it seems very hard to move. I plan to drop the sump when I have more time but would like to try anything else I can in the meantime.
      Ed, try removing the starter motor and turning the flywheel with a large screwdriver or pry bar. This is how I freed off the engine in my Maestro.

Ray
      MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
      Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
      MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

Originally posted by edders1690 View Post
        Ed, try removing the starter motor and turning the flywheel with a large screwdriver or pry bar. This is how I freed off the engine in my Maestro.

Ray
        Hi Ray, I have the starter off and I've tried to move to flywheel with a large screwdriver but it seems impossible to move. How easily should the flywheel move? How much pressure do I need to apply? I'm starting to wonder whether the flywheel could be stuck. Would this cause the engine not to turn over?

Comment

if the clutch is OK and the starter motor is out then there's nothing for the flywheel to 'stick' to. Do the alternator pulley and power steering pulley turn OK?
          Use a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt, and a mate on a crowbar on the flywheel teeth at the same time - just ensure you are both pulling in the same direction!
          midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Also worth removing the aux belt if it isn't already as I've had a seized alternator appear to seize the engine solid.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

All the belts are off already and the starter motor is out. The flywheel is stuck solid. It won't move even a millimetre. The crank nut is the same, jammed solid. All I end up doing is undoing it.

When I turn the crank bolt on the red HLS (same early engine) it turns ridiculously freely so I am convinced something is broken or seized inside the brown HLS.

I haven't had time over the last couple of weeks but my next plan is to drop the sump and have a look. Again, this is all new for me so I'll need all of your valuable help and advice once it is off so I know what I am looking at.

I have an offer from the local company to rebuild the engine at a good rate so that will be what I do eventually, but I'd like to understand first what has happened to the engine, get it out, and dismantled as much as I can to save some money.

Comment

get oil pump checked whilst in bits, how unhappy would you be rebuild the engine only to find oil pump shot and being back at square one?
                MG Maestro turbo 437
                367 Bhp

Comment

I suspect oil pump is gone anyway. Can they be overhauled or do they need to be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                    I suspect oil pump is gone anyway. Can they be overhauled or do they need to be replaced?
                    Go for new Ed
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

This might be of help, if all else fails - http://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replace...ego/1127119008
                      Membership Secretary
                      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
                      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
                      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Working...
                      X