Welding wheel arches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding wheel arches

My Montego project is in need of two new rear wheel arches, I have bought a pair of new ones. I have a decent mig welder, grinder etc and can weld two bits of metal together however I have never welded bodywork. Should I cut the old wheel arches out just to clean metal (about two to three inches) then cut the new panels to match or cut my bodywork to for the whole new panel? I can't afford to pay a garage to do this so am going to have to attempt it on my own. Any help please! Also need to do the sills, are these still available or do we have to make our own or patch?

Originally posted by G4GLM View Post
    My Montego project is in need of two new rear wheel arches, I have bought a pair of new ones. I have a decent mig welder, grinder etc and can weld two bits of metal together however I have never welded bodywork. Should I cut the old wheel arches out just to clean metal (about two to three inches) then cut the new panels to match or cut my bodywork to for the whole new panel? I can't afford to pay a garage to do this so am going to have to attempt it on my own. Any help please! Also need to do the sills, are these still available or do we have to make our own or patch?
    Depends on how bad the sills are, you can fabricate a patch etc. There was a guy sellin montego sills on the facebook page last year, so try him
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

dont cut too much out of the arches. I'd just cut out clear of the visible rot to start with, then once you can feel behind the outer skin, check for internal corrosion, and cut that back. Because the metal is so thin to start with if theres any thinning of the metal caused by corrosion on the inside it'll tend to burn through.

cut back the new arch to fit the gap - i'd just leave a small overlap rather than trying to butt it together - but if you feel confident thats the best thing to do. when you weld it. just put say 4 tacks on evenly spaced, then keep putting tacks on until its fully welded - if you weld too much in one area the panel will be distorted with heat - and in my experience if that happens your stuffed - hence keep moving around with tacks.

personally I'd get it to the point where there was a tack every inch, then grind back and fill over the lot, but then I'm lazy.

the real problem will be how bad the inner archers are - because if these are badly rusted, you'll need to make a new inner lip in certain places and weld that up. seam welding here is not too much of a chore - and distortion isnt going to be visible - but still dont do it by starting at one end then stopping at the other - well you can - but you wont do it again!

if you need to make a new flange get some flat plate 1mm thick is ok, then fold the flange in it, and with a cross pein hammer at right angles to the flange start hammering it against some sort of anvil and it will start to stretch the metal and push an arch shape into the flange

plug weld the two flanges together - that is drill a series of holes in the new outer arch, and then weld around the holes to the inner arch. start off in the middle of the hole and then weld outwards in a circular action untill the two are joined - you'll probably find loads of tutorials for plug welding on internet.

sills are not bad to patch up at first - unless they're totally ruined.

finally if your welder is a gas-less one - buy another!

Andy
      CURRENT FLEET:
      1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
      1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
      1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
      2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
      1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Thanks Andy, very helpful. It is a gas mig so I'm ok there. Just my skills maybe somewhat lacking!! If ever you fancy a trip up to J41 let me know!

Comment

I have never welded or done any such repairs - so armchair expert / keyboard warrior alert!

However, I am always surprised when I see pictures of arch repairs where a huge area has been cut away to accommodate the whole repair panel instead of the panel being trimmed to the shape that needs to be replaced.

Comment

Yes you keep as much of the original metal as possible when it is a patch repair like the rear arches.

Obviously replacing a full sill or other panel is different however.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by G4GLM View Post
              This is something I'd very much like to do myself. I have three Montegos that need welding work and I'd like to have a go on one to see if it's something I could pick up. Keep us posted with how you get on.
              1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

I certainly will. I am hoping to start in the next few weeks.

Comment

https://motorvation496.wordpress.com...rust-we-trust/

Some photos in the link might help you a bit.
                  *****MG Maestro Turbo # 496*****
                  Follow me at
                  FourNineSix

Comment

Working...
                  X