Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the marks for top dead centre please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the marks for top dead centre please?

My Timing belt snapped so I am refitting a new one but, timing marks on the bottom pulley. Is Top dead centre the red or white arrow? (I know the white arrow doesn't actually point to anything but, a bit further round there is a notch on the back of the pulley where the white arrow is.)

Car is a Montego 1.6 Petrol

If in doubt remove the spark plugs and put a long screwdriver or piece of wood down into the bore to rest on the piston crown and feel where TDC is by carefully rotating the crank pulley slowly (having a helper guide the rod in and out of the spark plug hole helps). You also need to make sure that the rotor arm is pointing at the appropriate spark plug too (to prevent the timing being 180 degrees out).
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Dans description for finding TDC is absolutely correct if you have no other indicators. On the S series, there should be a pointer on the block/bottom of the water pump and directly below the water pump drive gear. There is then a nick in the crankshaft pulley that corresponds to TDC when aligned with the pointer. At the same time on the camshaft pulley the timing mark is on the rear of the pulley that will align with a groove on the top of the first cam carrier housing. Ensure that these don't move when you are tensioning the belt.
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Those timing marks don't actually point to TDC as such if I remember correctly. There safe marks to line up with corresponding cam pulley so you can change cam belt. I think if you set TDC as Dan describes static timing would be out.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

This is a scan from the service manual (sorry its not brilliant - its a thick manual and difficult to scan!) relating to tappet adjustment and cambelt changes. The relevant info is in the 3rd paragraph on the lower section where it reads "Turn the crankshaft to align the camshaft gear and carrier timing marks. Check that the crankshaft pulley timing mark is at TDC" Click image for larger version

Name:	TDC for S series.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	316949
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Ah right - 1.6 engine. I haven't read the manual for a while but I'm sure this is the case for the o series engine that I thought this was. Again - could be wrong! ??

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Working...
            X