Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montego 1.6 auto inlet manifold stub replacement

Hi All,
    i thought this message would be asking the recommended way of removing old and fitting new inlet manifold pipe stubs but i can't quite get there in that i find it impossible to get any tool onto the two lower nuts holding the inlet manifold to the studs in the cylinder head. I've tried open end spanners, ring spanners, offset ring spanners, universal joint and extension bars from all different angles - at the side, from above from below etc; It seems the relationship between the inlet manifold and studs is angled in such a way as to not allow anything even as small as a 1/4" drive socket on it - my 1/4" set only goes to 13mm so if the nuts are larger that may go some way to explaining the problem. I've attempted to remove the exhaust manifold heat shield (the metal one held on with 4 x 8m bolts) to allow more room but without success as the bolt heads are in between 7 and 8mm due to erosion. It would help to know what size these two manifold nuts are vis 12mm - 13mm etc then at least i know using the correct size tool. They are bigger than the 4 x 10mm bolts in the top, that i can tell.
    I read the article on aronline by Mike Humble who didn't seem to have any issue replacing his pipe stubs but i'm stumped with this one. I can only assume it is something to do with this part no CAM 9693 clearly stamped on my inlet manifold. This number isn't listed on any of the 3 sets of microfiche i have for the Montego only CAM9708 being listed for this 1987 model. Am i looking at attacking this from below on a ramp with the starter motor, etc removed? Can this inlet manifold be (easily removed) with the engine in situ? Any advice gratefully received. Oh! did i mention, the car has power steering if that's relevant.
    As an aside, for those interested, i got into this mess by noticing a slight weep on one corner of the rad which i then had repaired (before finding a new one) and decided to renew the hoses as good housekeeping - most if not all looked as though they had been there since leaving the factory. The attempted undoing of a jubilee clip on one of the inlet manifold pipes resulted in the stub disintegrating in front of my eyes; the subsequent google search pointed me to the aforementioned article by Mike Humble. i seem to remeber reading somewhere not to even think about bypassing the inlet manifold coolant wise but i'm sorely tempted
    Thanks in hope
    Arthur

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
    1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
    1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

The bolts/nuts should be either 10mm or 13mm. You may need a long socket to remove your nut/bolt. Bolts are normally 10mm nuts are 13mm, it can be easier to get to them from under the car
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 1st January 2017, 19:42.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll have another go tomorrow from below.

Comment

I would also only use a hexagonal socket as the nuts can ring

Comment

Ah yes - a deep socket is just about the only thing i haven't got so will need to buy a set - maybe not tomorrow as it is a bank holiday but i have managed to get a 13mm 1/4" socket on the nut but nothing else that allows me to move it. Have made a note to get the hexagonal ones - maybe they will help me get the heat shield screws off.

Comment

Heatshield is 2 phillips screws from memory after you remove the carb support bracket

Comment

I managed to remove the fibreglass heatshield thinking that would give me better access and it is 2 large Phillips screws. One screw was rusted in and ended up cracking the little lug when enough torque was applied to undo it. The heatshield i mentioned was the metal one over the exhaust manifold. Managed to pick up a set of deep sockets and a set of stubby spanners today and i'm hoping these these will do the trick. Normal length spanners were fouling the starter motor and the exhaust manifold wouldn't allow access from the either side. Thanks again for the tips
              I'm still interested in the part number conundrum though vis CAM9396 moulded into the inlet manifold - was this just a mistake at the casting stage

Comment

Finally got the two offending nuts off; one with a stubby spanner and the other with a 13mm deep socket, uni joint and extension bar; what a performance; can't believe i'm making such a meal of it. Anyway it's off. See pictures.

Comment

Well done, first part completed

Comment

Thank you; there will now be a slight diversion onto the 2.0LXi for new pads, calipers, discs and hoses. Pads almost down to metal on one side of each set so something not quite right; discs lipped as well so might as well replace the lot

Comment

Working...
                    X