Power steering racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering racks

can someone please tell me the difference if any between power steering racks for the montego? I am led to believe that the 1.6 and 2.0 are different. Are they interchangeable? Thank you

As far as I know the difference is that 1600 one has brackets on for the gear linkage.

Comment

According to the EPC there is no difference. RHD power steering rack is GSR347 and LHD is GSR167 for all models. There are differences with the manual racks but only between 1300 and 1600/2000 engine versions.
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I've been offered a brand new one (old stock I believe) to fit my 2.0 turbo, the guy says it is only listed to fit 1.6 models?? I'll try to get the part number, if it's what you say Pete I'll give it a go!

Comment

The pre 1988 face-lift 1.6 Montego needed the PAS rack with the brackets on for the VW gearchange relay bracket. All other models have Honda gearboxes so don't need to use the brackets if that's any further help. Also they revised the gearing in 1986 I think to give slightly more turns and to make the steering less twitchy.
          M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
          Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

You're definately going the right way putting a 1600 one on a 2000, it will fit...

Comment

Originally posted by G4GLM View Post
              Thanks for the replies, I've been offered a brand new one (old stock I believe) to fit my 2.0 turbo, the guy says it is only listed to fit 1.6 models?? I'll try to get the part number, if it's what you say Pete I'll give it a go!
              How did you get one ? Any chance you know the part number you used ? I know it's a year ago but I'm faffing about with my rack.

Comment

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...go_1983___1989

Comment

As mentioned by Simon the later 1.6 Montegos have the Honda box, so could welll a have the same basic rack as a 2.0. The early 1.6 ones did have a bracket to the VW gearbox. I don't if the rack was any different.

Comment

I found a new old stock 1.6 rack on eBay, can’t remember now exactly but it was dirt cheap £30 / £40?? so I took the gamble and it looks exactly the same as my 86 2.0 Turbo one. I’ve not actually fitted it yet but everything looks to be the same. Some of these parts you see advertised now may actually be wrongly described, they’ve been sat around so long and no doubt thrown around workshops and garages and been put in different boxes etc... if you see something cheap take a gamble, knowing Austin rover it will probably fit even if wrong!!

Comment

Originally posted by G4GLM View Post
                      I found a new old stock 1.6 rack on eBay, can’t remember now exactly but it was dirt cheap £30 / £40?? so I took the gamble and it looks exactly the same as my 86 2.0 Turbo one. I’ve not actually fitted it yet but everything looks to be the same. Some of these parts you see advertised now may actually be wrongly described, they’ve been sat around so long and no doubt thrown around workshops and garages and been put in different boxes etc... if you see something cheap take a gamble, knowing Austin rover it will probably fit even if wrong!!
                      Yes indeed I did the same, we couldn't tell the difference between the rack we took off and the new one we put on. The rack we took off was NAM5119 and what we put on was GSR1166.

Comment

Working...
                      X