Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hesitant power and flashing temp light

Hello people,

so i've just taken hold of a D reg montego and its awesome but when you plant the throttle it luggs down really bad and doesn't pickup. if you feather the throttle its seems ok but somethings not right

first i've read about the Temp light flashing, previous owner had given me some spare control units, i tested with two others but the light starts flashing with ignition on and cold

I bridged the temp sensor connection but the gauge didn't move - is this a fault of the 9015 controller or is it the dash clocks??

also when the engines running, disconnecting the temp sensor caused the engine to nearly stall out - again is the 9015 controller or the carb mixtures all wrong ??

any help would be much appreciated

JBO

The autochoke ECU drives the temperature gauge (I'm assuming it is a 1.6 or 2.0 carb) . If it goes faulty then it can cause the temperature to read too high (and that flashes the warning light at you). It also messes up the autochoke.

Often the autochoke ECU simply needs plugging in and unplugging many times to clean the edge connectors of the circuit board as they tend to oxidise.
    If that doesn't cure it another known good autochoke eCU should fix it.
    Then make sure all the vacuum pipes are correct and not split
    Then check the carburettor diaphram valve isn't split
    Then check/change the autochoke O rings for viton ones
    Then set up the carburettor linkage clearances correctly
    Then reset the base mixture control and last of all retune the carburettor following the appropriate instructions for the autochoke.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

i recon a fuel ecu fault try a repaired unnit

Comment

Yes its a 1.6 carb model, did try the spare ECU but they must all be busted

I did clean the contacts up on the one that was fitted but made no ends.
        Last edited by JBO; 2nd August 2017, 06:31.

Comment

hello jbo ive sent you a private message try ebay for a repaired fuel ecu but check your old unit for the type number as there are different types. find it on top of the glove box.let us know how you get on.i did have a spare one I purchased later some where dave

Comment

Just to add to the advice already offered, You could in your case consider there could be two separate problems going on here. Check the temperature sensor and or wiring is not shorted out. If you have a multi-meter check the resistance of the coolant sensor, a reading of less than 1Kohm when cold would indicate a faulty coolant sensor. For the hesitation everything E-T-V has said plus top up the carb dashpot with engine oil, check the ORFCO valve is not sticking open and make sure the spark plugs and ignition system is in good order.
            P.S. Not that it will be a big problem in the grand scheme of things but ADU 9015 is a fuel ECU for a Rover 216se, the correct one for the 1.6 Montego is an ADU8495 if you end up needing another ECU.

Comment

Cheers guys

Found an ADU8495 on eBay #winning

How much oil goes in the carb dash pot?

Comment

Just till the little centre cylinder is full. When you place the piston damper rod back in it'll overflow a little - don't worry

Comment

Has anyone done a carb swap?

Comment

Done many. Simple on a 1.6
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

So what are my options?

Anything manual choke and Weber ?

Also anyone running aftermarket ignition timing?

Comment

Ignition system is VERY reliable. SU carburettor is also VERY reliable. (The electronic control less-so).
                        Fixing the issues is usually simple if you go about it methodically.

Comment

As above, the second most reliable carb ever made is a Stromberg (occasional diaphragm failure) and the number one most reliable carb is an SU... putting Webers on takes you into MG 1600 world....google mg Maestro 1600 weber problem and you will get more hits than if you google SU Maestro (or Montego) 1600 problem... Might be worth you either borrowing or buying a colourtune or an exhaust gas analyser to see exactly what is going on with the mixture... Manual choke conversions were available for the electronic SU carbs, but the auto set up has worked extremely well on the ones I've worked on/owned in the past.. Now I've only got one petrol ....an MG 1600 ha ha ha..It isn't running yet , but I suspect that setting the carbs up will take longer than completely rebuilding and setting up an SU.

Comment

Cheers guys

Time for carb rebuild

Comment

The flashing temperature light means either overheating or the fuel ECU is faulty. This will mess up the carburettor settings (as the fuel ECU controls the auto-choke). Fix that first, as the SU's are really reliable otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X