Dashboard fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard fault

Hi folks, any ideas? Lights and indicators light up on dash. Oil and handbrake lights have stopped. Temp and petrol gauge stopped working. However when you take care out to drive things change! Petrol and temp gauge start to rise up but only to a quarter! The battery light then lights up faint - but when you raise hand brake, touch brake pedal or put demistwr on then the battery light instantly lights up bright! Stop tje car and battery light goes out ans gauges stop working again. Strange one! Any suggestions welcome

dodgy connection somewhere, if there is enough getting through to start alternator charging then battery light can act as a live feed, unless you can see a bad connection in either the wiring to dash or fusebox, ignition feed, then you need a multimeter and wiring diagram..the Haynes one is a straight copy of the genuine one, so should get you there, just start at the white wire on back of ignition switch and trace it through towards the dashboard..

Comment

sounds like a dry joint on the PCB / tracking on the back of the fusebox. They are prone to this.
      midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Thanks so much guys, will try these both!

Comment

Might also want to look at the output from the alternator. I was getting wierd combinations of warning lights being illuminated (or not) and the ignition light would often be only dimly illuminated. Found that my alternator was at fault. New one fitted and all warning lights behaving as they should.
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Got it sorted! Fusebox fault

Comment

Working...
            X