Fuel running issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel running issues

Since useing Monty every day again since Dec the only issue was starting as it took several turns to get going but then is was ok for most of the day
    last night it ran on .and this monring it started first time but then kept jumping and cutting out as the engine was warm so turned around and headed for home.It then decided to cut out on the last roundabout befor home and had trouble to get revs and it wouldnt start so called the RAC but they took for ever by which time i was able to start it again.He followed me up to the su service center where i was going to leave it but they had ceased trading the month before .Prob got some dirt in from the bottom of the fuel tank when putting in some fuel yesturday ? Fitted a inline filter but it still has hiccups as it cut out again from the petrol station toninght .Any idears ?
    Last edited by TLC; 11th February 2019, 19:00.
    Sure & steadfast.
    BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
    1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Any sugestions as to why its started to happen may be dirty fuel stired up when filling up ? /siticking dash pot .ive topped up the dash pot with oil
    Sure & steadfast.
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

ok after quite a few brakdowns i thought i solved it when i founf the fuel cut off body hanging on by on screw so orderd some and fitted them starts ok but a bit high revs to start with but settles down .Then went out and let me down again had to wait for it to cool down .
      No reply first time so where are all the experts on the forum ?
      Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
        ok after quite a few brakdowns i thought i solved it when i founf the fuel cut off body hanging on by on screw so orderd some and fitted them starts ok but a bit high revs to start with but settles down .Then went out and let me down again had to wait for it to cool down .
        No reply first time so where are all the experts on the forum ?
        G force is the member to contact or ask he is great at solving problems with monty`s and maestro`s . He has helped me many times over the years when I had my maestro .

Comment

Yes i have contacted him thanks as its realy stressing me out
          Sure & steadfast.

Comment

The symptoms you have described are very similar to what happens when a rotor arm fails.

If you haven't already done so, it would be worth trying a different rotor arm in the distributor (and beware of some of the poor quality 'new' replacements that are available).
            1983 (Y) MG 1600
            1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
            1987 700 City 1.6 Van
            1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
            1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
            1990 Clubman D
            1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Assuming this is the mechanical fuel pump variety? I had a problem when ever the engine got hot it cut out. Turned out to be the fuel pump. It was found by tipping cold water on to the fuel pump (attached to the rocker cover) after it had cut out.
              This also may explain why it takes a few goes to get going. Not sure if it'll cause running on though...
              Ian
              Ian Drew
              MG Maestro Turbo '400'
              MG ZT V8
              Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Thanks I have the Metro back now so can trying to eliminate differant things before i start messing about with the carb
                Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Update on this issue i have fitted a spare carb that has the same number this w/e It starts but the idel is low and when warm will cut out if foot is off the pedel ,what do i need to adjust ?
                  Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Originally posted by digital efi View Post
                    The symptoms you have described are very similar to what happens when a rotor arm fails.

If you haven't already done so, it would be worth trying a different rotor arm in the distributor (and beware of some of the poor quality 'new' replacements that are available).
                    Where and what make of Rota arm should i get
                    Sure & steadfast.

Comment

Please help Is this the screw that adjusts the idel speed ??
                      Sure & steadfast.

Comment

It is to adjust the idle speed. However, before adjusting make a note of the existing position and if it doesn't solve your existing problem or creates another put the screw back to where it was before making any other adjustments.

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
                        1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
                        1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
                          It is to adjust the idle speed. However, before adjusting make a note of the existing position and if it doesn't solve your existing problem or creates another put the screw back to where it was before making any other adjustments.
                          Befor i do anything what happens is it will start from cold and seam normal revs then after a few min it will slow down and stall . so do i still need to adjust this screw and to the right ?

Sure & steadfast.

Comment

I'm only going from memory, and mine is pretty bad, but is there not a mixture and idle setting for on and off choke? Do you know for sure it's the idle speed and not the mixture? Can you keep the engine running using the throttle once the choke is off and if so (if you have a rev counter) what's the engine speed?
                            Ian
                            Ian Drew
                            MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                            MG ZT V8
                            Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Working...
                            X