• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum pipes ,breather pipes and cold temperature sensor

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070994 (4).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	638.4 KB
ID:	335623 I have an 1987MG Montego Turbo and i am in the process of trying to sort out various running issues with my car.
    1. I am looking at vacuum pipes;-Can anyone advise where i could get the correct replacements ,correct size and what should i be looking for. In particular its the one that runs between the ecu and fuel trap. As shown above. As well as this i am also interested in the 90 degree connector originally but i take it these are no longer available .Any ideas welcome.
    2. The same goes for breather pipes to the carburettor again welcome advice on where to obtain and what i need.
    3. I intend to also replace the cold temperature sensor. Am i correct in think that what i require here is a Lucas SNB101.
    Thanks

Nice to see you back Glyn. Coolant sensor should be SNB151 from memory and is available in various ebay sites or you local car spares maybe able to supply. Check first to see if the same as some are advertised as the same but are different. Breather pipes are available from your local car spares. Are the pipes from the fuel trap damaged or is it just the elbows? These pipes for minis should do the fuel trap, has elbows but I'm not sure of the length so check first
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 22nd June 2022, 08:03.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Thanks Jeff ,hope you enjoyed your trip to France. The fuel hose -if it was too long it would be ok to cut to the required length wouldn't it? The elbows went and the pipe itself had a spilt which i repaired with electricians tape. I am determined to get the Montego back up and running as it should be i dont like it sitting doing nothing. A mix of lockdown, breakdowns has meant over the last 2-3 years its been nowhere and i cant have that. I want to get back out enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor View Post
        Thanks Jeff ,hope you enjoyed your trip to France. The fuel hose -if it was too long it would be ok to cut to the required length wouldn't it? The elbows went and the pipe itself had a spilt which i repaired with electricians tape. I am determined to get the Montego back up and running as it should be i dont like it sitting doing nothing. A mix of lockdown, breakdowns has meant over the last 2-3 years its been nowhere and i cant have that. I want to get back out enjoying it.
        Oh we did Glyn. Yes you can cut to length. Is this your silver turbo?
        Turbos don't like not being used and they throw up issues if not used regularly.

Comment

it is Jeff,and although its not been far i have ensured regular warm ups and moving the car to keep things free. FREE thats not something you hear very often these days. I intend to drain the fuel from the tank,fit an in line filter.get the carb rebuilt,replace the cold temperature sensor,and replace pipes and anything else that may be needed. Then once its properly up and running i will be getting it tuned up. However one step at a time but i am looking forward to getting it back to how it was when i bought it 32 years ago. I have missed driving it.

Comment

it is Jeff,and although its not been far i have ensured regular warm ups and moving the car to keep things free. FREE thats not something you hear very often these days. I intend to drain the fuel from the tank,fit an in line filter.get the carb rebuilt,replace the cold temperature sensor,and replace pipes and anything else that may be needed. Then once its properly up and running i will be getting it tuned up. However one step at a time but i am looking forward to getting it back to how it was when i bought it 32 years ago. I have missed driving it.
            Nicely done Glyn, will look forward to seeing it properly one day again lol. The club do have show days up North so maybe you should go to one of those once its running properly

Comment

Ive taken the carburettor in today for a rebuild. I discussed its rebuild with the gentleman concerned and in particular asked that he would replace the o ring seals to the stepper motor and any others. He said i dont think they will be any seals or why it would need any. I confirmed that as i understand it there is an o seal for the autochoke. He said there wasn't any mentioned in the su catalogue and couldn't see why it would need any. Looking in my haynes manual it shows an o ring seal in the float chamber are there any seals anywhere else ,if so where do they go and are they obtainable and where from? He also looked at the carburettor dashpot and said oh its got different fixings and he didnt have a tool to remove them but he would get them out and replace with a new fixing. I want to make sure everything is done as it should be. It was Burlen su themselves that suggested i may want to send my carb to him.

Comment

Carb. The screws that hold the dash pot on are torx bolts, look like a star shape, and very common to round off when trying to loosen as they're soft, they will be replaced anyway with normal flat head ones. There is a seal on the bottom cap and not on the dash pot housing. O ring seals are for the auto choke stepper motor and attach to that not the carb. If he's a carb builder he doesn't know much as all this is very common on SU carbs Glyn. Burlen used have their own rebuild service, I've looked at their website and they still do but at £500 plus vat. Gulp. If you were nearer I would show you what to do as rebuilding and servicing a carb is quite an easy task
                Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 11th August 2022, 05:10.

Comment

It sounds as though your carb builder is more used to S.U.s from 'the good old days' with brass dashpot screws. As Jeff says it isn't a particularly complicated job, I should have a copy of Rover's carb rebuilding guide that I could scan & send to you if you wanted to do it yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
                    It sounds as though your carb builder is more used to S.U.s from 'the good old days' with brass dashpot screws. As Jeff says it isn't a particularly complicated job, I should have a copy of Rover's carb rebuilding guide that I could scan & send to you if you wanted to do it yourself?
                    I'm guessing but Glyns carb rebuilder maybe looking at page 40 of the Burlen SU carb spare parts etc of the HIF44E electronic type carburetter. That doesn't list the stepper motor seals but we all know you need them. MG Montego/Maestro Turbo part numbers are on page 166/167 and again the doesn't list the stepper seals. If you or anyone else needs a Turbo kit, rebuild kit is part number CRK212, service kit is CSK74, gasket kit is AUE825. This may help you Glyn to explain to him about the stepper motor seals, size BS 0 13, you will also notice the torx screw heads on the pictures https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...on-the-su-carb
                    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 11th August 2022, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

I'm guessing but Glyns carb rebuilder maybe looking at page 40 of the Burlen SU carb spare parts etc of the HIF44E electronic type carburetter. That doesn't list the stepper motor seals but we all know you need them. MG Montego/Maestro Turbo part numbers are on page 166/167 and again the doesn't list the stepper seals. If you or anyone else needs a Turbo kit, rebuild kit is part number CRK212, service kit is CSK74, gasket kit is AUE825. This may help you Glyn to explain to him about the stepper motor seals, size BS 0 13, you will also notice the torx screw heads on the pictures https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...on-the-su-carb
                      Thanks for all that info Jeff. One more question please. The O ring seals for the stepper motor do you know if they are included in the rebuild kit? If not where would they be obtained surely Burlen would keep them? They need to be made of Viton is that correct.

Thanks' again Jeff and Dr Diesel. I was originally going to take it down to Burlen but after speaking to them they advised me to speak to the gentleman concerned.

Comment

Thanks for all that info Jeff. One more question please. The O ring seals for the stepper motor do you know if they are included in the rebuild kit? If not where would they be obtained surely Burlen would keep them? They need to be made of Viton is that correct.

Thanks' again Jeff and Dr Diesel. I was originally going to take it down to Burlen but after speaking to them they advised me to speak to the gentleman concerned.
                        From the looks of it Glyn the stepper motor seals you will have to buy separately. If you're really stuck I can rebuild it for you if you're in no rush

Comment

Finally got the carb back and it was fitted to the car today but that's when the fun began. I just require some confirmation that my conclusions are correct. I am correct in thinking that there should be a mixture control screw on the left had side of the carb just below the fuel pipe?(ie the opposite side of the stepper motor). Once the carb was fitted the mechanic tried to get the car up and running but couldn't find the mixture control screw. It appears from what he said that it just a blank hole?He couldn't find the the mixture control screw and said he was looking at the area i had said.??????

Comment

As you look at the carb. On the left side about 10 o'clock there is an inset near the bottom under the fuel in pipe It's in there and can be tricky to see if you're not used to it

Comment

It's here Glyn
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X