Rear quarter window trim removal and fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear quarter window trim removal and fitting

Hi. Me again. I have recently purchased some new rear quater window trims as mine are cracked. Apparently they are only fixed with 3m type tape? Is this sufficient? Also whats the best way to remove the old ones? Do they just pull of with a bit of effort? I dont want to break anything else if poss? Many thanks Steve

There are metal clips which hook onto the glass & are bonded into the glass bonding, the trim then clips into them, they can be a nightmare & excessive force applied to the clips can wedge them into the glass, which can end up breaking if you are unlucky! Plastc trim removal tools are what I've used in the past, but Jeff Turbo will be the best person to ask, as he's done a lot more than I have..
    good luck
    John

Comment

Hi. Oh ok. I was hoping i could just force them of? I cant see how they are attached? Thanks for your reply john,much appreciated. Sounds like its a bit more of a job than i anticipated?

Comment

Once you've worked out where the clips are it shouldn't be too bad, as you can apply the force in the right place, main problem is that the plastic is generally a bit brittle, so if you lever a bit that is inbetween the clips it is easy to crack it. They are just a spring clip that grips on the sticky out bit of the trim, according to the factory manual the outer bit of the trim should have adhesive tape on & there are 9 clips, one in the middle of the horizontal bit at the top, one each side near the top of the vertical bits, one each side in the middle of the verticals, one each side near the bottom of verticals & two near the ends of the bottom horizontal, it is very unhelpful about removing the trim tho'...."it will be necessary to fit a new finisher each time the glass is removed"..their fitting instructions are to fit clips to the glass using the finisher as a guide, then fit finisher to clips, leaving the backing tape on the adhesive until fitting the glass, which implies that they were not bothered if the trim came off in bits.... I looked in the Haynes book as well..it just says take it to a dealer...

Comment

Blimey. Seems like i may be opening a can of worms here? Trims not here yet,it just said you will need some 3m tape etc. Mine are both cracked at the top. I did think about just running some black mastic or plastic filler in the cracks? Maybe this would of been an easier fix? I dont want to damage the glass behind the trim. I didn't expect it to be easy but it all sounds a bit more complicated than i expected. If my old trim comes of in bits it wouldn't worry me as long as i can then fix the new one on?

Comment

Fitting the new one should be a lot easier than getting the old one off in one piece, if you've only got a couple of cracks in the old ones I'd be tempted to use filler and satin black paint to fix them & keep the new trims as spares in case of more cracks....

Comment

I think you are right on this one. Will add the new ones to my spares list and collection. Good advice. I have some spraying to do on the black around door frames as its faded and in places been hand painted. Think i will incorporate the rear quarter finishes in this at the same time. Spring/summer job once weather improves. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve O View Post
                I think you are right on this one. Will add the new ones to my spares list and collection. Good advice. I have some spraying to do on the black around door frames as its faded and in places been hand painted. Think i will incorporate the rear quarter finishes in this at the same time. Spring/summer job once weather improves. Thanks again.
                Have a look at post 233 onwards, it shows the clips holding the outer trim and how to remove it. If you use a trim removal tool they should ease out, don't force it or you break the glass https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...h-digital-dash
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Hi Jeff. Many thanks. I know it sounds silly but how do i find post 233? I'm doing this of my phone and am rubbish with computers etc

Comment

Ahh think i found it? To be honest i dont think i have the nerve to take them of in fear of doing even more damage?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve O View Post
                      Ahh think i found it? To be honest i dont think i have the nerve to take them of in fear of doing even more damage?
                      Can be a bit tricky to be honest, saying that I've never smash a rear quarter window yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post

Can be a bit tricky to be honest, saying that I've never smash a rear quarter window yet.
                        That is how you became the head Montego trim Guru The only one I've smashed was when I was taking the glass out, I caught one of the clips & it shattered, I could see how it might do the same if the trim was tight & the sealant hadn't got a good hold of the clip, have been very wary of them since then!

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
                          That is how you became the head Montego trim Guru The only one I've smashed was when I was taking the glass out, I caught one of the clips & it shattered, I could see how it might do the same if the trim was tight & the sealant hadn't got a good hold of the clip, have been very wary of them since then!
                          Being an ex Montego owner and not on here as much as I was, I'm only part time now so will move the GURU mantle to you John

Comment

Working...
                          X