Cylinder head removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head removal

Had a crack at removing the head from the engine today. I thought I would start by undoing the exhaust manifold to front pipe bolts seeing as this was only undone a couple of weeks ago when I had the new front pipe fitted. It should have been a faily easy job to undo them,. but bugger me, if, their not done up tighter then a ducks ????. I tried undoing them from the top then from undernith but they just won't have it and I don't really want to risk snaping the studs. Anyway, my question is this. If I remove the inlet manifold first, then can I just undo the exhaust manifold from the head and remove the head with the exhaust manifold still fixed to the down pipe?. will it move away from the head studs enough to get the head off? and, will it go back on this way as well.?

Hi Terry,

I suggest you put the type of Montego and engine size in your forum signature so that we all know what type of car you're asking about!

Anyway, if it's a 1.6 then you can just undo the exhaust downpipe -> manifold joint and take both manifolds out with the head.

Cheers

SimonR.
    You can contact me by clicking here.
    Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

I have saved my signiture in the user option but it des not seem to show. Anyway, it is a Monty 1'6L manaul. The point is, if you read through the first bit of the thread is that i'm am having the devils own job of undoing the front pipe\exhaust flange bolts and was asking if the exhaust manifold could be left attached to the down pipe and just undone at the head and then just lift of the head?

Comment

not had a 1.6 only a 1.3 if there the same then the answer is yes, unbolt it from the head . may be in for some fun getting access to all the bolts/nuts. but it is possible.
        Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

The Sig seems to be showing now so whatever you did seems to have worked!

Sorry, I misunderstood your original question, the answer is yes, you can undo the manifold from the head and then lift the head away from it.

I once had a really frustrating afternoon trying to take an exhaust down pipe off a car in a scrap yard but eventually managed it by raising it on axle stands and then attacking it from below with a 13mm socket and a couple of extension bars.

Either way you're going to be OK, I just hope that the studs and bolts on your cylinder head are easier to remove than the ones on your downpipe!

Good luck

Simon R.
          You can contact me by clicking here.
          Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonR

I once had a really frustrating afternoon trying to take an exhaust down pipe off a car in a scrap yard but eventually managed it by raising it on axle stands and then attacking it from below with a 13mm socket and a couple of extension bars.

Good luck

Simon R.
            Just the sort of afternoon I had but not in a scrappy I'm also hopeing the head stud nuts undo much easier then the down pipe I recone the place that fitted the new front pipe must have had the air wrench on over drive

Comment

I just had a thought. Maybe I should have tried my T wrench from under the car. It would have given me more leverage on the nuts but I wonder if it would be more likely to snap the studs?. The way I see it is this. The manifolds have got to come off the head to re-seat the valves Y\N ? so ether way it does not seem to make much differance which way round I takle their removal,or does it?

Comment

Whilst the battle between me and the engine to remove the cylinder head carrys on. I was thinking if it would be worth me getting or rather, trying to get hold of an unleaded head and change it now rather then later. I wonder would it be worth it? and also how much one cost?. Also, would it come with the cam shaft and tappets, ect. maybe someone on here has or knows of one going cheap.

Comment

hi mate i have an unleaded head from a 1.6 monty pm me for more details

Comment

Hi Steve, Thanks. I have sent you a PM regarding this.

Comment

Update

Well, the removal of the cylinder head is progressing well. I got the front pipe nuts undone, at lastfrom underneith. removed everything from the head and manifolds that needs to come off. Now I've just got to drain the coolent and undo the head bolts and remove the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry
                        Well, the removal of the cylinder head is progressing well. I got the front pipe nuts undone, at lastfrom underneith. removed everything from the head and manifolds that needs to come off. Now I've just got to drain the coolent and undo the head bolts and remove the head.
                        Taking a while this, I take it you are in no hurry?
                        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

No, not really mate. As it's my first head removal, I'm just taking my time and not rushing things.

Comment

Finaly got the head off today. Boy is it heavy:laugh: The exhaust valve on # 2 is burned away at the edge.

Comment

Sorry forgot to put the pics on. Not sure if it's inlet or exhaust valve but it's the smaller of the two.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Pistons.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	283133Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	283132
                              Last edited by Terry; 29th September 2006, 18:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X