Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diesel engine timing belt and kit part numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel engine timing belt and kit part numbers.

A few people have asked for the part numbers for the diesel timing belt, ebay apparently has an annoying habit of coming up with petrol ones. All of the diesel ones are the same, turbo and non turbo, engine codes BA and BB. The belt is the same as a Nissan Bluebird diesel one, but does not fit anything else. It has 143 teeth, is 1362mm long and 30mm wide, so easy to check that it is correct before dismantling the front of your engine
    Rover part number (available from Rimmers and other x part dealers) for the belt is. ADU 9878. or ADU9878EVA
    Unipart. GTB 1190
    Gates. 5190XS
    Dayco 94305
    If anyone wants to chance a cheaper belt, these numbers should cross reference easily. Kits and idlers/tensioners are not available from Rimmers any more and Gates no longer supply a timing belt kit.
    Timing belt kit part numbers are
    Dayco. KTB277
    SKF VKMA 07110
    SNR KD459.28

Dayco apparently made belts for Rover and I've never snapped one yet, SNR and SKF are well known bearing manufacturers, their kits are about the same price as buying the idler/tensioner on their own (if you can find them!), so anyone that prefers Gates belts would be no worse off buying a Gates belt, a SKF kit and selling or giving away the SKF belt.

Another reason for a forum, good info there that won't fade away unlike Facebook
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
      Another reason for a forum, good info there that won't fade away unlike Facebook
      Yes, you need a good memory and a lot of luck to find any old posts on facebook, even more so now that there are more and more groups springing up on there. I stick to the owners club group, but I guess many won't. Thank goodness there is only one forum! If I get asked the same question a few times on fb or wherever, I try to put the answer up on here, so the answer is just one link away the next time and anyone that is wise and looks on here first doesn't need to ask......

Comment

I've lust had 2 delivered..veco vt194.. also a gates 5190. about £7 and £17 just go on internet. .. put in details of car... if I can do it anyone can.

Comment

Excellent informative post - I have a 1992 Maestro Diesel and i am slowly accumulating best parts for a major service (it has only done 45k miles from new but obviously you must also factor in ageing of the rubber etc).
          I have bought a Unipart. GTB 1190 belt and now turning my thoughts to tensioners ... any thoughts as to the best ones? ... good idea to change the water pump as well? (if so do you know the part number?) ... any other 'may as well change that' advice?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr C K Smith View Post
            Excellent informative post - I have a 1992 Maestro Diesel and i am slowly accumulating best parts for a major service (it has only done 45k miles from new but obviously you must also factor in ageing of the rubber etc).
            I have bought a Unipart. GTB 1190 belt and now turning my thoughts to tensioners ... any thoughts as to the best ones? ... good idea to change the water pump as well? (if so do you know the part number?) ... any other 'may as well change that' advice?
            The tensioners are not so easy to get hold of, I have never heard of a 'bad' make, so I'd say just buy whatever you can find! The water pumps are unobtainable now, but have heard of a few people getting them rebuilt by http://www.ep-services.co.uk/ , I guess there will be other places doing the same job around the country..It would be annoying if you did the belt, then had to to take it to bits again to do a water pump, but the pumps are less pronē to failure than some more modern ones. If you did get the pump refurbished, it'd probably never need doing again, if you didn't then based on my own experience it'd be unlikely to fail if it had no play in the bearings or any other signs of wear when you did the belt.

Comment

Thank you, if / when you have a moment then i would appreciate the part numbers for both the water pump and tensioners ... for clarity mine is a 1992 2.0 Diesel (BA ... engine series)

Many thanks

Comment

Thank you, if / when you have a moment then i would appreciate the part numbers for both the water pump and tensioners ... for clarity mine is a 1992 2.0 Diesel (BA ... engine series)

Many thanks
                No problem, water pump is GWP182, which was replaced by GWP184, beware of ebay ones with no picture/different part numbers, early non turbo diesel had a completely different pump, yours will be the four pipes at the top one which incorporates the engine mounting like this one https://www.autodoc.co.uk/dolz/11650932 which is out of stock! The tensioner is AHU2504 which was replaced by LHP10002. and the idler is AHU2503.
                Good luck
                John

Comment

Absolutely superb and greatly appreciated ... one further question ... when i run through my registration K687 PDL it comes back with GWP185 ... is this just because it is a crossover? Or is the online system wrong? Assuming it is 185, is the belt and tensioner as mentioned?

Looking at the engine it definitely looks more like 184 with 4 pipes (it appears the top part of the engine mount separates as per the 184).

The reason for the questions is that I will collect all the parts and then crack on with minimum downtime
                  Last edited by Dr C K Smith; 4th March 2021, 17:52.

Comment

Absolutely superb and greatly appreciated ... one further question ... when i run through my registration K687 PDL it comes back with GWP185 ... is this just because it is a crossover? Or is the online system wrong? Assuming it is 185, is the belt and tensioner as mentioned?

Looking at the engine it definitely looks more like 184 with 4 pipes (it appears the top part of the engine mount separates as per the 184).

The reason for the questions is that I will collect all the parts and then crack on with minimum downtime
                    Even more bizarre, GWP 185 is for a 2.0 petrol, an engine that the factory didn't fit to any production vans! You are on safe ground with belt & tensioner, diesels were all the same. I guess you have a workshop manual, but if not, when you take the mounting off, support engine on a jack undo the five bolts holding the bracket to the body and the nuts and studs holding the casting to the water pump then take the whole assembly off..trying to loosen the nut holding the mounting rubber to the bracket is a bad idea and can result in you needing a new rubber I have seen the results, but luckily never did it myself...
                    Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 4th March 2021, 20:01.

Comment

Working...
                    X