MGTF brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGTF brakes?

Is there a 15" inch wheel available for the maestro that will take the 4 pots and discs from the MGTF?

Thanks

yes, but you will need to go down the motorsport wheel path, not the standard mgf alloys path.

Unless you can find out which do fit it will be much easier to go with the mgtf 16"

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to keep 15" due to tyre choice and retaining acceleration. Any ideas which Motorsport wheel fits?

Comment

am i stupid?

Sorry, I have just realised I was being stupid in thinking the 15" VVc wheels would be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by J314SOV View Post
          Thanks for the reply, I was hoping to keep 15" due to tyre choice and retaining acceleration. Any ideas which Motorsport wheel fits?
          Not sure I follow on your thinking. if you have 16" wheels the rolling circumference remains the same as the tyres are lower profile. Someone on here fitted them below compomotive wheels from memory. You'll find it much easier to fit mgtf 16"s though, plentiful supply and you'll likely have to buy brand new compomotives (or similar) as our pcd is very rare.

Comment

When I've seen them under compomotives they were 16 inch ones not 15.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

IT was done by someone on here, not sure of the username now gssomething146? The guy who had that blue rally r series maestro build thread just before triple m died.

Comment

This was the one I was thinking about

Comment

My thinking is basically keeping 15" mainly due to Motorsport tyre cost and availability, I can get a wider choice of tyres at a more reasonable cost due to the popularity of 15" in rally tyres..16" are available but a lot more expensive and come with limited profile, hence the requirement for 15". I do like the compomotive wheel pictured tho.

Comment

And what are the options for brakes on the rear? Currently on standard drums

Comment

You can fit the PAW front brakes which fit under the standard 15 inch alloys. They are 285mm from memory.

On the rears you are probably best off keeping the drums. You can try and retrofit the discs setup from a ZR etc but the brakes won't be any better and the handbrake will certainly be much worse.

Comment

PAW? Sorry, what ere these?
                        Thanks

Comment

A big brake kit made and sold for the maestro/montego.

It uses some brackets to move the original calipers further from the hub and some larger 285mm discs redrilled to fit the maestro PCD and a couple of centring rings too.
                          Simple yet effective.

These are them fitted to my van

Comment

I run mgtf 4 pots and 15" compomotive MO's on my rally car. Lots of space. The discs were turned down to 298mm I think. This is so you have enough metal left on the hub after elongating the holes to make the caliper bolt holes line up.

Also just fitted zr hubs converted to 95.25 PCD and 260mm discs on the rear. The track is wider by about 10mm either side but im machining the hubs down so the geometry is as it should be.

The 4 pots with ferodo DS2500's were unbelievably good. I could out brake many cars.

Pictures of the brakes before rebuild.

Comment

I just measured the difference between the axle with drums and axle with discs. 4.7cm wider with the zr hubs! Cant be good for 'turn in' I'll be getting 2.3cm machined off the stub axle units either side and the blind holes tapped through so I can still get enough bolt threads through with the extra metal shaved off
                              Last edited by g200mss #146; 21st February 2014, 13:08.

Comment

Working...
                              X