No announcement yet.

MGTF brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you still run the maestro rally car? If so do you have any advice on where to source up rated stuff from, as I'm just starting a rally build.
    Thanks.

Where would I get the paw upgrade from?

Comment

No idea if they still do them but worth a try
      http://www.eifflaender.com/brakeprice.htm
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by J314SOV View Post
        Do you still run the maestro rally car? If so do you have any advice on where to source up rated stuff from, as I'm just starting a rally build.
        Thanks.

Where would I get the paw upgrade from?

Thats brilliant, another maestro rally car. Where are you based? Tarmac or gravel?

I still run mine although Im rebuilding it after a crash last year which put us out for the rest of the year. What engine are you running?

I mostly make everything myself as you cant get anything off the shelf for them really. What do you need?

Comment

Neither! It's being built for road rallying, which is a tough sport, uses lots of rough farm tracks and lanes. What are the weak points on a maestro for rallying?

Based in south west wales

I need to source a decent brake set up, and any advice on squeezing more power from the efi lump?
          Thanks

Comment

Id reinforce the rear strut tops, especially if a bit rusty. Only other problem Ive had was breaking engine/gearbox mounts. Mine was a 1600 though so different mounts.

Comment

Have a look on the maestro build thread for the one they took to cape town as that was a well sorted car (as shown by its reliability and finishing place in the rally!)

Comment

just this week i have bolted up my Ap calipers and disks fresh out the box,slid my 16" tf wheels over the top and there was loads of room i cant belive that 15" wont go strait on!!!! is it the offset thats the problem or do they just touch iner back rim???

Would love to put an Ap rear disc conversion on but just cant justify the cost when drums work so well, i am a sucker when it comes to things looking right they look so good through the wheels...

Comment

Yes it would appear it's just the offset that doesn't allow 15" genuine wheel fit.

Comment

The 'well' of the standard wheels and most aftermarket 15's also take up much more space than they need to but they never needed to fit over big brakes so werent designed to

Comment

Mgzs180 front setup on my monty. Has much larger disc and pad surface area than the paw kit. Also caliper piston is bigger!

Best bit is std wheels fit over!

Comment

zs brakes

Hi Dave, are they a good upgrade? ,have you tried both? which do you think is the better.
                        Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Originally posted by Dave MGT View Post
                          Mgzs180 front setup on my monty. Has much larger disc and pad surface area than the paw kit. Also caliper piston is bigger!

ZS180 is 282mm x 25
                          PAW kit is 280mm x 22

2mm is hardly much bigger! And standard wheels fit over the PAW kit too.

calliper piston being bigger can give issues with excessive pedal travel so you may also need to swap the master cylinder too if this is the case. (No idea what the piston size on the AP callipers are)

Maestro is 53.9mm
                          ZS180 is 57.0mm

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                            ZS180 is 282mm x 25
                            PAW kit is 280mm x 22

2mm is hardly much bigger! And standard wheels fit over the PAW kit too.

calliper piston being bigger can give issues with excessive pedal travel so you may also need to swap the master cylinder too if this is the case. (No idea what the piston size on the AP callipers are)

Maestro is 53.9mm
                            ZS180 is 57.0mm
                            I'm talking about the disc face not thickness of the disc! That's the important bit

Comment

Originally posted by normanmg2000 View Post
                              Hi Dave, are they a good upgrade? ,have you tried both? which do you think is the better.
                              I haven't tried yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave MGT View Post

What's involved in fitting this setup? What needs modifying? Looks interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X