Maestro NA to Montego turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro NA to Montego turbo

Hello to all, not sure if this is the right place to post it, but I consider it as an "upgrade" since my Direct Injection was very worn out, and I got lucky enough to find an 0 our 0 km Montego engine!

So, I got to adapt the exhaust system and turbo to my own air filter.

I really love both engines, mine, has got more than 338 000 km, and it was kind of tired.

returning with my wife to do some things, lost power, I run 5 more block and stop... check oil stick was so clean as an new katana... 0 oil, and the red light niver bright!

I put 4 oil liters, and start it again... it runs, and go home (I know that was bad, but I need to return any way) it runs for more than 8 km, and at 50 meters from home, quit!

I was very sad, because I love this car, and te spare parts here are almost impossible to find.

Next day, I bring it to my garage, and star to look for used part, to repair mine.

In a place like e-Bay I find a men who advertise an "new Maestro engine, never used, 0 km" I got to ask him "sorry, but, what you mean with 0 km never used???"

And the men told me the history, this engine was bring here by the official distributor, many years ago, never sold, never used, the distributor closed, and parts and engine go to auction, his father buy it, but never use... and he sold to me!

I´m VERY LUCKY GUY!

the old direct injection was very tired!

here, you can see the two beast!

new one with all the seals!

I got to go now, but later I retake the history!

regards to all

Henry

Ok, the history continues!

I birng new engine to my workshop, and start to make some checks previous to install it.

I decide that I must change diesel filter, and timing belt.

When I remove the front cover to change timing belt...
    I find a very big and bright new hole, there was NO camshaft!

Appears that the distributor need some camshaft some day, and decide to sold the one in this engine...

Fortunatelly, I check my camshaft, and check one timing belt with another (mine and new engine) timing belt was equal, and the camshaft was in perfect conditions and appear to be the same.

I install it, check the valve light, and looks very good!

here, you can see the new engine with the camshaft, new timign belt, oil and diesel filter.

I put a new timing belt, new diesel filter, the auxiliary fuel pump (that was missed too) and start it in a bank, first time,didnt start, and there was a LOT of white smoke.

Recheck the timing for the fuel pump, and use the other mark in fuel pump, this time, start almost immediately! some white smoke because there was a lot of diesel in the cylinders due to the failure previous start, and it run very quiet, and well.

The time to put it inside the car has come!

Now I got to adapt exhaust system and air system for the new engine.

I put, and take out at least 6 times engine, to cut, and acommodate exhaust system, finally, it was perfect!

As soon as I can, I put pictures of the exhaust system

regards to all, and thanks for watch!

Comment

here you can see differences between the two exhaust systems!

NA

turbo

Comment

Coming on well that, look forward to the finished article
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Well done indeed! I hope all the work will be worth it and you have a great car to drive, it should be noticeably quicker than before.

Ian
          Ian Drew
          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
          MG ZT V8
          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Good work going on there - keep us posted how your getting on as very interesting.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Working...
            X