Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Level Brake Light - Anyone fitted one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Level Brake Light - Anyone fitted one?

Has anyone gone down the road of fitting a high level brake light on a Maestro - particularly on a Turbo? I've been mulling over the idea of fitting one inset into the trailing edge of the roof spoiler, if I can find one that is narrow enough! Just thinking that in todays traffic, where the vast majority of cars now have these as standard, there is always the possibility of being rear-ended by someone who isn't looking at the rear light cluster for brake lights.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

I have one fitted to my maestro , but the old boy who had the car before me fitted it some years ago does n`t look too hard to fit .

Comment

I used to have one fitted inside the top of the rear screen. Simple to fit and remove if you wanted to make it original again.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

i fitted one in the mid eighties but the bulb kept breaking i guess the shuting of the tail gate banging down did it no good
        but i guess the led bulbs used now are much better as the light unit i had used the one shaped like the interior bulb and not very strong

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
          I used to have one fitted inside the top of the rear screen. Simple to fit and remove if you wanted to make it original again.
          Can you remember the make or where I could get a similar one? I have vague recollections that there was a Unipart accessory square 3rd brake light that fitted inside the rear screen, but haven't seen anything like it available today
          Membership Secretary

Comment

I fitted a Hella high level brake light to my Maestro, probably in 1989. It did come loose leaving the black stick on surround on the glass so I stuck it using clear silicone with then worked perfectly as an invisible mend thereater.

I recall that a Rover 75 estate brake light can be fitted to the upper edge of the Maestro tailgate. I'm sure this was done by Nick Bonthrone at Austin Garages.
            Last edited by Simon; 22nd August 2016, 13:19.
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

It wasn't this one but it was similar. LED that stuck to inside of rear window.
              https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automo.../dp/B008CENXZU

Comment

It wasn't this one but it was similar. LED that stuck to inside of rear window.
                https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automo.../dp/B008CENXZU
                I was looking at that one yesterday. Trying to work out if I can (permanently) fit it to the underside of the roof spoiler before defaulting back to the rear screen.
                Membership Secretary

Comment

That unit isn't waterproof so not really suitable for external mounting. Inside the car is much more simple. You can integrate on into the rear spoiler but it'll be a LOT more work.

I've got one in the spoiler on my 600 which would probably suit but too much like hard work making it fit as the turbo spoiler is very hollow.

Comment

.....as the turbo spoiler is very hollow.
                    It's that bit that probably means it will end up as a screen fitting! 😀
                    Membership Secretary

Comment

I've got a screen fitting installed by a previous owner. There is no obvious branding on apart from mycarr stamped in the plastic lens. It is on the tailgate frame rather than the glass and is very discreet, so much so that it took me a long time before I realised it was there.

Comment

That looks very neat Nick. I can see this being copied by me as long as it will be visible under the Turbo roof spolier.
                        Membership Secretary

Comment

Yeah it'll still be visible.

Comment

Working...
                          X