R960 & CD Changer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R960 & CD Changer problems

I have a Rover Phillips R960 radio and matching 6 Disc Changer fitted to my Montego HL. Recently I have been experiencing problems with the CD aspect of the radio.

Once I have loaded the cassette with CDs and inserted it into the changer, it makes all the usual noises like loading discs, etc. However, when I press the 'Mode' button on the radio to change to CD mode, it displays the message 'No CD'. Obviously there is! There is power to the changer and it makes all the internal noises it should. It is connected at both ends too.

What could be causing me a problem? The CD changer and radio unit were brand new out of the box in 2003 and have only seen light use.

are the cd's in upside down?. i know it sounds a stupid thing to do/check for. but i did it and my unit (altho differnt)said the same thing.
    Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

No they are the right way up.

Comment

You haven't done what I did and put an MP3 cd in it have you, after the posh one you had in the other car!?

Comment

No, it won't even play 'normal' CDs.

Comment

I've had a couple of DC082s go that way.

They have a similar life expectancy to a 'K' series headgasket.
            Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
            2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan
              They have a similar life expectancy to a 'K' series headgasket.

:laugh:

Comment

Just as an update to this...

I finally managed to investigate this little problem. One of the microscopic little wires has come detached from one of the female connectors at the end of the lead where it meets the radio. I don't see how I could ever possibly fix it - I would need the world's smallest soldering iron!

Replacements (when you can find them) are near £40.00!

Comment

Nowt going at the scrap yard, RD?

Comment

I wouldn't know I never get there anymore! ...and besides, Rover 800's they are fitted to always have no keys or batteries on/in them so getting in the boot to retrieve the cable is impossible!

Comment

Well it looks like a new lead to maintain CD changer functionality or use a nail or thick needle to make a fine point for your soldering iron (These are standard ISO connectors so pins should, in theory be available to make soldering wires on easier) or swap the head unit for an MP3 CD item which is what I did. I recommend VDO Dayton, the nearest you'll get to Philips these days.
                      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Post it to me - i have the worlds smallest soldering iron!

It'll be the serial data line - it tells the unit what CD is installed, track length etc...

Seriously, if you post me the cable i'll repair it for you.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave!

I'll send it to you at the beginning of next week when I have it out of the car.

Comment

Recieved.... and repaired.

I'll get it posted back to you... pm me your address

Dave

Comment

Ebay

Ebay has a few offerings, however not very cheap!

Thankfully you have yours repaired, however, may I suggest for any others missing/requiring Philips cables etc....

If you do a search on ebay shops, enter 'HiFi Links', they do a range of link cables, some for Phillips units.

Darren
                              Happy Motoring

Comment

Working...
                              X