• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension questions again

i want to fit some lowering springs to my turbo diesel maestro

does anyone have or know of any for sale fairly cheaply? - 1 inch lowering

can i retain the original shocks, because i am a pennyless student? lol

and are they easy to fit? do i need a spring compressor or can i 'wangle it' so to speak?

thanks in advance folks

Ben

Ben , under no circumstances can you ;

Use the old shocks with cut / sport springs

perform this task "on the driveway"

or perform this task without the spring compressor !

*runs*

Comment

I thought you could actually use the original dampers if money is really tight, providing you tie the springs to them so the springs don't fall out of them when the car is elevated...
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Yes you can do it on your driveway. You will definately need spring compressors and for the cheapest way to do this you need an angle grinder and a blow torch, preferably an oxyacetaline torch.

To get the spring flat again after cutting one coil the best way is to heat the end and wind it into an old shock. If you're re-using the shocks you'd have to push it onto the ground, but it doesn't always make them perfectly flat. Let the spring cool in air - do not quench it. See "chassis engineering" by Herb Adams for instructions on how to do all this.

For those of you who say that the spring will fall out of the shock - crap! If that were the case you would barely need spring compressors to remount the spring and you definately do!

Done correctly, cutting springs is fine. It's only shunned by those with enough money to always buy new uprated items. Herb Adams actually recommends cutting over getting new springs!

One final thing - if you cut your springs you actually uprate it in terms of stiffness in proportion to the amount cut. So for virtually nothing you'll end up with lower and uprated springs!

Comment

Sorry Sport, It’s you that’s talking crap. If you put a shortened spring in the rear shockers, when elevated it will pop out of the top seat. You don’t need a spring compressor for the rears only the front.
          And if you are seriously suggesting that the lad should be let loose with an angle grinder and an oxy touch you must be out of your mind, the fact that he had to ask the question should make you realise he’s not up to the simple job of removing the suspension let alone chopping a set of springs in half
          The real question should be, why on earth would he want to lower the suspension on a diesel? Of course it looks faster!!
          HTH
          HenryR

Comment

Idea.

Leave it alone.

buy some springs from somewhere.

buy some shocks from somewhere.

get a local grease monkey to pop them in ...

Comment

I thought this was a modifications board, not a oooh, I don't think so lets leave it board.

As far as talking crap is concerned, I've cut my springs and not had any problems. Maybe Ben's diesel has a different suspension set up than mine but somehow I doubt it.

I'm off back to Triple-m where there is a (little) more understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Wetfish
                Sorry Sport, It’s you that’s talking crap. If you put a shortened spring in the rear shockers, when elevated it will pop out of the top seat. You don’t need a spring compressor for the rears only the front.
                And if you are seriously suggesting that the lad should be let loose with an angle grinder and an oxy touch you must be out of your mind, the fact that he had to ask the question should make you realise he’s not up to the simple job of removing the suspension let alone chopping a set of springs in half
                The real question should be, why on earth would he want to lower the suspension on a diesel? Of course it looks faster!!
                HTH
                HenryR

thanks for all the comments folks,

i havnt had to touch suspension in the past, but im sure i am up to this 'simple job'

and the reason why i want to lower it is because it eill improve the general look of the car, and allow me to corner in it, without it swaying like a battleship.

ignorant ******s like yourself, sport assume that im a young lad, whos attempting to 'bad boy' up a TD maestro and clearly dont think i have any machanical abilities - not the case

by the way - im perfectly competent at operating an angle grinder

cheers then

Comment

Originally posted by Wetfish
                  Sorry Sport, It’s you that’s talking crap...

...the fact that he had to ask the question should make you realise he’s not up to the simple job of removing the suspension let alone chopping a set of springs in half...
                  Sorry Sport, you're the one being narrow-minded and self-opinionated.

How can you possibly judge somone's abilities that way? He asked a simple question as to how to source parts and how to go about doing the job. Asking for advice does NOT condemn a person's capabilities.

In answer to Ben's query, I agree with Jack. Lowering the car by an inch is barely cutting the thing in half now, is it. I'd rather go by the experience of someone who has actually done the job rather than the theory of someone who has never done it. Thought you knew all about that, Sport?
                  Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                  VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                  J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

If you put a shortened spring in the rear shockers, when elevated it will pop out of the top seat
                    One more thing to add Wetfish - perhaps you're thinking that a diesel has the same length springs as standard to an MG. I don't think it does - the Diesel ones are longer so cutting a coil from a diesel spring will not necessarily have the same effect as cutting one from an MG spring. Maybe this is why your may fall out and the diesel ones don't?

Just trying to build bridges by explaining where the difference of opinion may come from...

Comment

One final, final thing for Ben - to stop wallowing on corners you may find a front ARB will be better. My cut springs don't reduce the roll a particularly huge amount and the main benefit is getting the arch gaps down to normal size (diesels are like the grand canyon!).

Having said that, I still think it's worth doing. My intention is to fit Rover 800 front springs to the rear (cut down of course) as they're only 2mm bigger in outside diameter and should fit. Stiff rear springs is the standard suspension set up on race FWD cars so should see some improvement with a front ARB. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Ahhh. Jack’s back after getting a bit of a kicking on Triple-M I see.
                        You may know what you are talking about and that is open to question but my point was the suggestion of doing it, particularly for someone uninitiated in that type of work. In fact it’s bloody dangerous, some things you don’t mess with and shouldn’t be attempted unless you are qualified to do it. I’ll say it again, changing the suspension is relatively easy with the right tools, chopping springs is a whole other ball game.
                        HTH
                        HenryR

Comment

And Mr. Worsley, defender of the young and meek, the drivel you’ve posted is very commendable but let’s cut to the chase. Would you let him work on the suspension of your car? Either Yes or No will do. None of the usual bluster please.
                          You can generally read between the lines of most posts and get an opinion of someones abilities in mechanics, after what I’ve read so far in past posts if I saw the Lad holding a junior hacksaw and a Zippo I’d be a worried man, particularly after the advice given so far.
                          Nothing wrong with asking the question but answer is the important bit.
                          HTH
                          HenryR

Comment

Ben you know the answer to all this, doesnt matter if people have had problems or not, don't do it, springs are only £84 quid plus postage. Just say no. You cant really put a price on your safety.

Comment

In fact I would suggest anyone short of a qualified mechanic does not work on their brakes either. If you've got a puncture call the AA and let the professionals change the wheel - it'll be a lot safer on the road if a professional has tightened the nuts properly. :laugh:

Sorry about that. The fact is, cutting your springs, if done correctly, will be safe. I have only ever wished to give advice on how to go about it and I'm not really able to give an opinion on somebody's ability from the way they ask for something. Besides, £84 plus postage on student money? Guess he won't be lowering his car then...

Wetfish - what are you talking about? I've not had a bashing on Triple-M. I think it's fair to say that opinion is split on this issue and my only trump card to beat the deadlock is to get all the non believers to read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chassis-Engi.../dp/1557880557

Comment

Working...
                              X