• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr bump
    replied
    Sooooo.......did Ben cut the springs?
    was a trip to A&E needed?
    Did the hacksaw and zippo lighter do the trick? LOL
    Last edited by Mr bump; 9th January 2022, 19:06.

Leave a comment:

• B18 GPC
    replied
    :laugh:

I guess these two are messing ? :laugh:

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh, You cutting cruel Youth, I’m sliced to the bone
    Wicked,
    HenryR

Leave a comment:

• D87SMW
    replied
    Originally posted by Wetfish
    Nice piccy Mr. Worsley, don’t quite get it but I’ll let it pass.
    By the way I’m still waiting your price for spraying that grille you were touting on ebay! Come on pull your finger out.
    HenryR
    You sad, sad man.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nice piccy Mr. Worsley, don’t quite get it but I’ll let it pass.
    By the way I’m still waiting your price for spraying that grille you were touting on ebay! Come on pull your finger out.
    HenryR

Leave a comment:

• D87SMW
    replied
    I'm impressed with your perception Tightnuts, I've had a wander over and there's not much humour about, not a place for me,all rather serious stuff. There again I might be afraid of the power you wield, life and death shall we say.
    You think there is humour here? Oh dear, sounds like this is not a place for you either. Shame that.

Back on topic, as John says. Ben, if you've got the cash to do it, then go for it. Yes there are lowering springs on eBay at the moment, too. However, if you've not the funds, it's not really imperitive that you lower the car is it?

HTH

Leave a comment:

• D87SMW
    replied
    Anyway, there's a bloke selling lowered springs on ebay (and a number of diesel sumps!!) as a package.
    HTH
    HenryR

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by G51 NAV
    Speaking of which I see you've been a bit quiet on Triple-M lately? 3 posts in total since 10 November, when you joined to ask some random query I suspect you didn't need an answer to. I knew at the time you only signed up because I warned you on here that if you joined Triple-M and so much as blinked out of sequence I'd ban you.)
    I'm impressed with your perception Tightnuts, I've had a wander over and there's not much humour about, not a place for me,all rather serious stuff. There again I might be afraid of the power you wield, life and death shall we say.
    Anyway, there's a bloke selling lowered springs on ebay (and a number of diesel sumps!!) as a package.
    HTH
    HenryR

Leave a comment:

• G51 NAV
    replied
    Ahhh. Jack’s back after getting a bit of a kicking on Triple-M I see.
    Speaking of which I see you've been a bit quiet on Triple-M lately? 3 posts in total since 10 November, when you joined to ask some random query I suspect you didn't need an answer to. I knew at the time you only signed up because I warned you on here that if you joined Triple-M and so much as blinked out of sequence I'd ban you.

Back on topic, I'd echo the words of caution: only do it Ben if you're sure you're capable, not that i'm judging whether you are or are not. £84 for a set of shorter springs is a small price to pay for safety

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    In fact I would suggest anyone short of a qualified mechanic does not work on their brakes either. If you've got a puncture call the AA and let the professionals change the wheel - it'll be a lot safer on the road if a professional has tightened the nuts properly. :laugh:

Sorry about that. The fact is, cutting your springs, if done correctly, will be safe. I have only ever wished to give advice on how to go about it and I'm not really able to give an opinion on somebody's ability from the way they ask for something. Besides, £84 plus postage on student money? Guess he won't be lowering his car then...

Wetfish - what are you talking about? I've not had a bashing on Triple-M. I think it's fair to say that opinion is split on this issue and my only trump card to beat the deadlock is to get all the non believers to read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chassis-Engi.../dp/1557880557

Leave a comment:

• MaestroTurbo
    replied
    Ben you know the answer to all this, doesnt matter if people have had problems or not, don't do it, springs are only £84 quid plus postage. Just say no. You cant really put a price on your safety.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    And Mr. Worsley, defender of the young and meek, the drivel you’ve posted is very commendable but let’s cut to the chase. Would you let him work on the suspension of your car? Either Yes or No will do. None of the usual bluster please.
    You can generally read between the lines of most posts and get an opinion of someones abilities in mechanics, after what I’ve read so far in past posts if I saw the Lad holding a junior hacksaw and a Zippo I’d be a worried man, particularly after the advice given so far.
    Nothing wrong with asking the question but answer is the important bit.
    HTH
    HenryR

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ahhh. Jack’s back after getting a bit of a kicking on Triple-M I see.
    You may know what you are talking about and that is open to question but my point was the suggestion of doing it, particularly for someone uninitiated in that type of work. In fact it’s bloody dangerous, some things you don’t mess with and shouldn’t be attempted unless you are qualified to do it. I’ll say it again, changing the suspension is relatively easy with the right tools, chopping springs is a whole other ball game.
    HTH
    HenryR

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    One final, final thing for Ben - to stop wallowing on corners you may find a front ARB will be better. My cut springs don't reduce the roll a particularly huge amount and the main benefit is getting the arch gaps down to normal size (diesels are like the grand canyon!).

Having said that, I still think it's worth doing. My intention is to fit Rover 800 front springs to the rear (cut down of course) as they're only 2mm bigger in outside diameter and should fit. Stiff rear springs is the standard suspension set up on race FWD cars so should see some improvement with a front ARB. I'll keep you posted.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If you put a shortened spring in the rear shockers, when elevated it will pop out of the top seat
    One more thing to add Wetfish - perhaps you're thinking that a diesel has the same length springs as standard to an MG. I don't think it does - the Diesel ones are longer so cutting a coil from a diesel spring will not necessarily have the same effect as cutting one from an MG spring. Maybe this is why your may fall out and the diesel ones don't?

Just trying to build bridges by explaining where the difference of opinion may come from...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X