Tandy register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tandy register

I am the webmaster of the page on Maestro Tandy(http://www.thenewcafe.net/members/maestro/index.htm ) but have been too busy to do much for some time.
    Since writing the original pages there has been more information and I will
    update the pages when I get the time.
    Due to the incredible power of the net ,quite out of the blue I had an email from David Tandy who founded the company Tandy Industries on the Isle of Wight telling me I had the story wrong in some places ! Fortunately nothing litigious that I know of !!!!!
    He is planning to do an accurate history of the company after Xmas. Even
    more remarkable is that he has kept all the records and photos of the production line and has details of every Maestro that was converted when he was owner.
    Some time ago ,in an attempt to answer my curiosity I contacted the DVLA
    asking how many Maestro vans with the DL suffix still existed however David tells me that about half of the production were registered by the dealers on the mainland but it would be obvious that out of the 500 converted ( by Tandy Industries and then by Tandy Motorhomes who took over the company ) that very few are likely to still be on the roads.
    Back in April 2005 on this forum I suggested setting up a register of Tandy
    campervans. Would other owners be interested?
    The idea is open to suggestions but is broadly that;
    1/ It is entirely voluntary and free.
    2/ Personally I would like it managed by this club (the Austin Maestro and
    Montego Club ) and
    maintained by them if they are prepared to do so. I suggest this as it would
    ensure all Maestro matters are under one banner.
    3/ If an owner choses ( and only subject to their permission) the van
    details / photo would be on a webpage. Obviously not the owner's personal info.
    All data would be under the scrutiny of the Data Protection Act and would
    comply with that.

Such a register would enable owners to contact each other if they wanted and possibly meet up but it would also establish how unusual these vans now are and confirm that from an insurer's point of view that they were commercially produced as a campervan.

What is the opinion of other Maestro Tandy owners?

Grayham

Personally, I'm all for it! I think the information you've had from David Tandy is incredible, and something I've been trying to find out for years. I'd love to know how many were left, and to have van gatherings.
    A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
    Maestro Camper Van
    Maestro 1.3L
    Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

although i dont own one

this is very intereseting indeed!

i love things like this out of the blue

Comment

I'm up for it, and would certainly be interested in any information that you have.

'Tammy' as Lisa christened it, oops 'her' (sorry Lisa), or 'the van' as I call it, is certainly a head turner.

We took her to France in the summer, and had many a conversation with the locals, oh yes, the french for Camper van is...camping car! Some German Surf-boarders were extremely interested; I was offered a VW as a swap...but I declined. Then there was this English fellow who kept calling it a 'vannette'.

"The English.. they are all mad"

or is that ".... a nation of shopkeepers"

Comment

register

Sorry for the delay in following this up but I am having pooter troubles again!!

We have not had the opportunity to do many trips , certainly no where near as many as we would have liked. A trip to France would be incredible but we seldom have enough time to make the journey worthwhile.

As for the register I will ask if it can be introduced in the forthcoming AGM and I will write up something for the mag.
          It certainly looks as though these vans are relatively rare , when I can I will re-write some of the webpage and as soon as DT finishes his history I hope he will allow me to add it. It's amazing that he kept all the records and photos. Unfortunately the records only go up to when he sold on the busineess.
          To hear from David Tandy was an absolute suprise as my site had been online for about 2 years ......... shows the amazing power of the internet.

From the initial guesstimates I did using figures from the DVLA it may be that there are less than a couple of dozen of these vans around but then I had little factual data to start with.

Will be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas of how to set-up/maintain a register.

grayham

Comment

maestro campervans

any info for these vans would be of interest to me as i have just bought one to restore there must be something about meastros that were only made in 500s as my turbo is in that ball park lol:

Comment

tandy

hi there ive just seen the ads on here bit confused as they seem to be 6 years old i have had a tandy camper for over 8 yers now and had a lovley crash in it last year insurance wrote it off and just recently have pickedup another i have some history i have picked up over the years so if you reply in the year 2011 maybe can have a chat more about them
              all the best
              lucky

Comment

Originally posted by windy View Post
                any info for these vans would be of interest to me as i have just bought one to restore there must be something about meastros that were only made in 500s as my turbo is in that ball park lol:
                Have you looked at Grahams website?

What else do you want to know?
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Tandy Numbers

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any idea of the number of Tandy Campers still on the road ?

Just finished a 3 year re-shell & respray of mine, H reg now with 54,000 genuine miles. Its a show winner !

Will put some pics on soon.

Comment

I will be pre-MoT'ing ours on Monday, and it is booked for its test on Tuesday.

Wish me luck!

(Fitting a new radiator, too, as the old one has sprung a leak )
                    1983 (Y) MG 1600
                    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                    1990 Clubman D
                    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

I'm still building mine!
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

12 months MoT on ours now, so a comfortable bed (compared with a tent!) is assured for BL Day this year

Just gotta rob a bank for the tax disc now, but at least I can put veggie oil in the tank to offset the fuel cost
                        1983 (Y) MG 1600
                        1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                        1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                        1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                        1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                        1990 Clubman D
                        1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Welsh Tandy

Hi all, just finished 3 years of work to my Tandy having had to re-shell the origional abused one I bought.

Pics now up on my profile album, any comments welcome. Sadly having to think about selling as I am only in the UK now for maybe 2 months a year.

WelshTandyMan

Comment

tandies in general

Hi from an interloper!
                            I own a Reliant Fox Tandy camper, along with several others which survive out of the 50 or so made in the 1980s.
                            I have wondered too about forming a Tandy owners' group, probably as a Yahoo group, just to keep people loosely in touch and to be of help in keeping them in usable condition, share info on how best to do repairs, take bits apart for mending, etc.
                            Its not just Reliants and BMC / Rovers that supplied the motive power for Tandies, either. I've seen a Ford Transit Tandy, and something I couldn't identify from behind, but was definitely a Tandy design.
                            Anyone any more info or ideas? I tried the website above but time has obviously caught up with it.
                            Dunc
                            Attached Files

Comment

There's a strange looking camper near me. I have no idea what it is but it does have 2 rear axles & a much wider body than the vehicle its'self. I will try & photo it.

Comment

Working...
                              X