Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFi - Starts but cuts out again

MG Maestro EFi 2.0 (electric ignition)
    has sat stored in a garage for 2 years (loved, but no money to run it).

I charged battery, added petrol, turned over and starts - HARR_!
    runs for 2 secs, reaching 1,200 rpm and cuts out - OH_!
    and it keeps doing this.

Tried opening throttle but still dies.
    Tried remove plug, regular blue spark looks okay.

I'm going to see it run again before I die.

Any ideas what I need to do / try ?

have you tried replacing the ht leads ? or it could be ecu probs if it has one..

Comment

Sounds like it could be the fuel pump relay or fuel pump ressistor if it has one,located near the coil

Comment

if it's not sparks it must be fuel, or air.
        If it's been stood a while could it be that the petrol in the system has become waxy? Maybe the new petrol will find its way through and dissolve the wax?
        This might be rubbish but I have had it happen to garden machinery

Comment

Could definitely be stale fuel. How much fuel was in the car before you added fresh? May take a while for all the old fuel to work its way through to the to the injectors. If it starts, even for a moment, then fuel must be getting through.
          sigpic
          63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
          'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
          '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
          '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
          'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
          '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
          'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

I wonder if the car is called Doreen? :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
              I wonder if the car is called Doreen? :laugh:
              No, if it were Doreen, it would start, run fine until the temp got up a bit, and then drop to three cylinders, then two, and then die completely... Unless it is MOT time, in which case it would faultlessly cover 100 miles in a day, fly through the MOT needing nothing more than a battery clamp bolt and a pedal rubber, and then die half a mile from home outside the pub! I hope that no one has to endure anything as infuriating as that car ever again - I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! Which begs the question - why did I sell it to a friend...?

Comment

Originally posted by keith45 View Post
                I'm going to see it run again before I die.

Any ideas what I need to do / try ?
                Hello Keith45, I'am certaian that it won't take you that long to get it to run.

The problem is almost certain to be the fuel pump relay that is faulty. The relay in question is one of the two silver relays sat on the N/S suspension turret under the bonnet. The fuel pump relay is the one with a pink brown wire going to one of its connection.

The relay is a bosch relay and it is important to buy the correct one, and not just any 5 pin relay. Probably the easiest place to get one is a Land Rover dealer as the relay is the same as a 1987 V8 EFI Range Rover fuel pump relay.

Cheers, Gary

Comment

SNAP! Me Monty started the same lark tonight - checked fuel pump relay and it was loose - came off when I touched it in fact - car went perfect when I pushed it back in - cheers guys - just saved me hours of baffling diagnosis

Comment

Originally posted by the irish rover View Post
                    SNAP! Me Monty started the same lark tonight - checked fuel pump relay and it was loose - came off when I touched it in fact - car went perfect when I pushed it back in - cheers guys - just saved me hours of baffling diagnosis
                    Hi thats good news, Thanks. its always worth letting people know that the solutions offered on the forum actualy resolve a particular problem, it makes each technical advice thread more useful as a credible diagnostic tool

I wonder if the original poster has had any success?

Gary

Comment

Working...
                    X