Help - electric sunroof in a Maestro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - electric sunroof in a Maestro

Looking for some advice when I bought 108 it had an electric sunroof partially fitted. I think I'm good with the fitting but still trying to power it up.

Here's what I have just now..

Now I've been searching the forum thus morning and there's information about the wiring etc and swapping connectors from a Montego to the Maestro.

My two loose wires (which although look white and black are purple and black) will be my power i assume is it just a case of running these to my fuse box? If so is there any hints or tips for ease as I also read about someone wiring it into their electric windows.

I read a post earlier which caused me some confusion as well I assume I can't just splice the two wires into my existing wiring for the interior light?

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
    Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
    Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

all i did with mine one wire to body (earth) other to switched live (only live with ignition switch on) in fusebox with fuse in between
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Comment

Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
      all i did with mine one wire to body (earth) other to switched live (only live with ignition switch on) in fusebox with fuse in between
      Thanks Peter think my technical ability should be able to cope with that
      Last edited by macca666; 16th April 2017, 14:34.

Maestro turbo No. 108

Comment

The lighting circuit won't be up to providing the required current, so don't use that. Do what CC suggested, or if you don't want to run a wire behind the dash just go straight to the battery. With that you will still be able to close the sunroof if you have removed the key and turned the ignition off, DEFINITELY make sure it's fused in this situation though.
        Ian
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
          The lighting circuit won't be up to providing the required current, so don't use that. Do what CC suggested, or if you don't want to run a wire behind the dash just go straight to the battery. With that you will still be able to close the sunroof if you have removed the key and turned the ignition off, DEFINITELY make sure it's fused in this situation though.
          Ian
          Thanks Ian. I got some new wire the other day which i'll run to the fusebox and do as Peter suggested. All going well I'm hoping to get some time on Sunday and I'll get it wired in.

Maestro turbo No. 108

Comment

You've probably already done it by now, but even in a post 87 Maestro there is a position in the fusebox for the electric sunroof (position A8 if I remember right) which can be made active by adding a brown/orange unfused ignition controlled feed to one side of it. On the other side of it of course is the fused purple/black line feed for the sunroof. The fuse bridges the 2 terminals in the fusebox. The black wire is the earth return and can be spliced and soldered into another similar sized black earth wire or screwed to a metal part of the body via a ring terminal and self tapping screw. Even the sunroof switch can be illuminated for a really thorough job,
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

My limited technical skills are hampering me but I'm determined not to be defeated.......

the sunroof is working as I temp wired it direct to a permanent live and it works if a bit slow but will need cleaned and greased so I'm not overly concerned about that.

I've tried a couple of options.....

Firstly I wired it to the green switched ignition wire which goes to the wiring plug for the electric window lift control unit. This powered but wouldn't open the sunroof then stopped power completely including the electric windows. Checking the fusebox I'd a couple of blown fuses but not the 30a fuse for the windows. Fuses replaced and sunroof disconnected and windows back working.

I do have a permanent grey live into that connector which I think runs directly to the 30a fuse in the fusebox and if I connect the sunroof to this it works. But obviously even with the ignition off!

Looking to wire it direct into the fusebox I don't have a fuse marked for it Simon. A8 is door mirrors but there's definitely not one there for a sunroof. The 30a fuses don't appear to have a switched live and the switched live appear to be lesser fuses ie 5a.

At the moment I have a separate fuse wired in between which i added and is 30a which I thought was the correct rating.

Ideally I wanted the sunroof working only when the ignition on but wondering what the best option is. If i wire it to a switched ignition wire in the fusebox what fuse size should it go to. Also should it go directly to the fuse or can I splice the existing wire?

I wanted to do most of the work on my restoration myself hence why I don't want to be defeated.....

Any guidance would be much appreciated...

Maestro turbo No. 108

Comment

Working...
              X