Mysterious gearbox oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious gearbox oil leak

My campervan (2 litre turbo diesel) has an oil leak from the gearbox. Originally it was form the off side driveshaft so I replaced the oil seal here however it is still losing oil from somewhere. It doesn't appear to be coming from either drive shaft nor from the bottom of the clutch housing. Could it be coming from the selector rod and how easy is this to fix?
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

The only way to be sure is to thoroughly clean the underside with a jet wash or similar and then let it dry. The leak will then show itself more obviously. Sorry if this is obvious information!

Comment

Hi, The selector shaft seal is an easy job, very much like doing a selector shaft seal on say a mini, you may have had to do one or two of them in your days. The other place that could leak in that area is the rtv joint between the two halves of the gearbox casing, which is not a quick job to say the least

Regards gary

Comment

I think it is more likely to be the selector shaft than the castings joint as I have a small oil drip on the selector shaft. I presume there is a small oil seal behind the shaft? Is it a case of remove the gear rod then hook the old seal out then drift a new one in? Also you wouldn't happen to know the seal or part number would you? And is it a common problem? Thanks for the info so far
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
          I presume there is a small oil seal behind the shaft? Is it a case of remove the gear rod then hook the old seal out then drift a new one in? Also you wouldn't happen to know the seal or part number would you? And is it a common problem? Thanks for the info so far
          Hi, yes thats exactly the way, its quite common to see this seal leaking but not as common as a mini :laugh: Sorry can't help with part no.

Ps you can do the seal without draining the gearbox oil as you don't lose much

gary

Comment

Working...
          X