MG Maestro Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [For Sale] MG Maestro Turbo

So to carry on from my previous thread on here testing the water my turbo is now definitely for sale

It's MG Maestro Turbo No.9 so was one of the earliest cars from new but I'm guessing now it's got to be in the top 3 oldest assuming there is any of the original press release cars left? She was owned by forum member daveyboy on here before me, and then by a member on Triple-M before him so is reasonably well known to some of the older members on here. I've had her for the past 4 years, and only needing to save for a house has made me decide to sell on and even then i've weighed up selling various organs first.

Quick summary of what you're looking at:

Basics
    No tax, currently sorn as I didn't want to tax when I was weighing up selling
    MOT til December but I will get a full 12 months for piece of mind if a deal is agreed
    103,000 miles - rough figure but won't be rising being sorn.
    All 4 tyres have got plenty of tread
    Big box full of previous MOTs, receipts and photos of restoration work
    Original user manual
    Original Maestro Turbo workshop manual (which I believe to be very rare)

Engine Bay
    Top end rebuilt in 2005 at 85,000 miles
    Red Samco hoses and pipework
    Boost controller fitted
    Magnecor HT leads
    Larger intercooler fitted (cost dave £430)
    Stainless exhaust
    And during Dave's ownership it had; carb rebuild, cylinder head overhaul with new headgasket, new waterpump, new crankshaft oil seal, and new wheel bearings & cv boots.
    During my ownership it hasn't needed much work courtesy of the amount of work Dave put in and to a lesser extent the fact I look after it mechanically. What I have had to do however are the following; replaced the gearbox (diff bearing tried to jump out of the gear box housing one day, and nearly succeeded) with a secondhand one, and I fitted a brand new clutch whilst the work was carried out. I've also had to replace the clutch cable, and do the track rod end for an MOT.

Handling
    Poly bushes fitted
    Lowered with new shocks and springs (not bodged)
    Steering rack replaced
    Braided brake lines
    Vented and grooved front discs (so it actually slows down a little)
    Continental 'premium contact 2' tyres on the front (cost a bit more but worth every penny)
    Yokohama 'A539' tyres on the rear

Interior
    Dave fitted a 30,000 mile interior in his ownership so it's pretty damn good for the mileage of car
    Aftermarket boost gauge fitted over the drivers side air vent
    Electric windows in the front (are a little slow on the way up but always have been)
    Electric wing mirror controls
    Sony CD, USB and Aux in stereo fitted (not to my taste but is all I could afford)
    Pioneer amp fitted in the boot
    Pioneer cd multi changer in the boot although not sure if it still works as current stereo doesnt have function
    Pioneer 6x9s hidden in the parcel shelf with cover over the top
    Tweeters fitted where manual wing mirror adjusters would be
    Little placque fitted to certify genuine turbo and number

Misc.
    I had a sump guard made which makes changing the oil more of a faff but means I didn't have to cry every time I hit a hidden pothole.
    Remote central locking
    Key holes removed from all doors and smoothed over (except on the boot)
    Selca alarm and immobiliser fitted
    Secondary immobiliser fitted (cant remember on the make)
    Battery cut off switch on the negative terminal to save battery juice if parked up in a garage

Now for the negatives and little niggles:
    Bodywork is in good condition overall for the age I think, especially for a car that was used as a daily drive for nearl 2 and a half years. However having been used as a daily it does have a few marks and chips (mainly at the front) and rust has started to bubble in the usual places – please see pics but this includes the arches, bottom of doors and near the fuel filler cap. It's still at the point where its repairable I just don't have the skill set for it (the last car I painted was for a european road trip and I did it with a roller :-D).
    The sun roof no longer works, something on the little wind diffuser thing snapped so after a wrestle to shut it i've not used it since. I was pondering cutting it out and putting a solid roof in with all the problems sun rooves cause on old cars but I leave that decision to the new owner now.
    Where the side skirts attach has pulled away slightly in some places (see photos). This hasn't been caused from any damage just the general rattle and bounce of driving in the peaks has caused them to break away slightly. Again see photos.
    The red stripes have pulled off the front seats, courtesy of being used as a daily driver.
    Needs a new mud flap or two
    And then finally there's some cracks on the dash

So to sum up it's a cracking car that just needs some TLC to get it back up to a very high standard, or can be used perfectly well as is - it still gets great comments from people wherever i go in it. The engine still pulls like a train through all the gears, the turbo still spools up and sounds spot on (owing to being warmed up before being used and then sat to cool for a couple of minutes at idle before being switched off). I'm after £1800ono which I've priced bearing in mind the balance of issues and positives above, and that I saw a non genuine turbo go on ebay for £1500 recently. Located in the peak district, 15 miles from manchester and about 30 miles from sheffield.

Cheers for looking, and if you have any questions please comment away or PM me

Photos of the interior to follow (ran out of time yesterday after cleaning and then taking these pics)
    Last edited by Team-Monkey; 17th July 2014, 14:48.

Photos of the bubbly bits

bit of rust in the bottom corner of the door and the skirt has cracked away a little from the arch

can see in this what i mean about the side skirt, isnt in any danger of falling off, has just come away a little at this end.
    Last edited by Team-Monkey; 17th July 2014, 15:02.

Comment

Wow!!! Why o why do these only appear when my bank balance looks so low!

Comment

Interior photos as promised :-)

Last edited by Team-Monkey; 22nd July 2014, 12:14.

Comment

No.9 is now sold . Nice old bloke came and collected earlier this afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Team-Monkey View Post
            No.9 is now sold . Nice old bloke came and collected earlier this afternoon
            That was quick! Well done.

Comment

Aye pretty speedy, but was pretty cheap for a useable turbo i thought. The guy saw it through carandclassic if anyone is planning to sell there's

Comment

Working...
              X