Clear All

• 1988 Austin Maestro City X

E105 LBF

Date of first registration: 11th March 1988
    Colour: Targa Red
    Engine & Gearbox: A Series 1300 with 4 speed VW gearbox
    Purchased: December 2010
    Approximate mileage: 19,000

My purchase of this car was documented in a recent issue of Monstro. It had been in long term storage (since 1997) only a couple of miles from where I now live. Only two owners from new - the second owner since 1989 - it has survived extremely well. Recommissioned over winter 2010/11, it went to a number of shows throughout 2011 and also survived being filled to the brim for a week's camping holiday in Norfolk.

Apart from the mechanical recommissioning work, I've only had to recover the headlining. the rest of the car is as you would expect for such a low mileage. The Targa red paintwork may look nice, but it is a pain to maintain. The finish to the roof and bonnet is not so good, and the whole car requires regular polishing and covering when not in use. It may have to wait a while for the respray it ideally needs. My only addition has been an 'Austin' badge for the boot lid - the car looked unfinished without it!

Any use the car gets this year should see it clock over to 20,000 miles.

Key to photographs:

1) First day on the road since 1997, and a trip to see the previous owner. Pictured outside the garage where it had been hiding for thirteen years!
    2) Suitably 1980's themed picture. August 2011.
    Attached Files
Working...
X