Maestro Maiden voyage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Maiden voyage

Please forgive me I've posted this on the M & M FB page but just in case you don't use FB,took ‘OUCH’ out for its 1st maiden test drive this morning, only about 50 kilometers. Seems to drive OK, not so smooth as our SEAT of course Some rattling and vibrating coming up the steering column, that seemed to go away whilst driving and on warm idling. Fixing that vacuum adavance/retard hose has made a huge difference. No lights flashing, loud bangs or crunches although the exhaust sounds a tad noisy, I suspect that’s due to age, the baffles have probably seen better days. A couple of things I did notice, perhaps most serious is some weeping of oil between the block and cylinder head & some leakage around the power steering pump (see pictures). I guess I’ll need to keep an eye on the oil leak, whilst doing local touring/rally stuff should be OK anything long distance could be an issue, I might need advice there. The leak around the pump doesn’t look to serious will clean it up and see what comes out when it’s dry and clean, not seeing any reduction of the fluid level (just yet) maybe it’s from something earlier, have to say the power steering is pretty useless even though we’ve just changed the steering rack. So some more work to do, got all winter to do it, although there’s a 130 kilometer run from our local classic car club, maybe, just maybe I might chance it. BTW it looks like that power steering pump on the Monty/Maestro as the same as the Rover SD1, 800, Triumph Stag and some Land Rovers ?
    Last edited by Soulcharger; 1st November 2016, 14:59.
Working...
X