Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange noise coming from the front, could be bearing?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noise coming from the front, could be bearing?...

Hi Guys,

I have recently started to get a strange noise from the front of my car . It used to only happen when I turned right (so don't turn right ;-)) and now it is just noticeable during normal travelling, and really bad when turning right.

I have jacked the car up and wobbled the wheels, there is just slight play in the o/s, although I don't think I am experienced enough to know what is and isn't a lot of play.

I recently changed the front steering gaiters and even more recently the rear wheel bearings, but I'm reasonably sure it's nothing to do with them.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon
    Last edited by E_T_V; 2nd October 2004, 21:41.

is it a clicking type noise? is the gaiter for the driveshaft ok ? no spilts, best to be seen when full lock is on and the wheel is in the air. that way you can spin the wheel to check the gaiter.
    Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

q's

The noise is kind of a repetitive grind, as if there's a bit of metal attached to the driveshaft which is catching on every rev. I have checked the gatiers and yes they do need replacing, I have had a set of inners on order from Camberleys for 4 weeks now! They have the outers in stock, but I don;t see the point in doing them until the inners arrive.

How can I tell is the CV joint has gone?

The only reason I changed the n/s/r wheel bearing is the MOT guy said it was on its way out. I have to assume he checked the front ones as well, and it therfore seems very unlikely to be them since the MOT was less than a month ago.

Cheers for your help... keep em coming please :-)

Jon
      Last edited by E_T_V; 2nd October 2004, 21:45.

Comment

Sounds like an outer CV joint to me too. Jack up the wheel and rotate it whilst it it on full lock each way to see which one it is. It'll feel notchy and rough when the wheel is turned.
        Last edited by E_T_V; 2nd October 2004, 21:46.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

The grinding noise sounds like what happened to me on the way back from France - wheel bearing went at the same time as brake pads wore thin. The grinding noise was the backing on the pads rubbing on the disc. Take the wheel off and see if there's bright metal on the edge of the pads or disc.
          Last edited by E_T_V; 2nd October 2004, 21:47.

Comment

various

The noise is probably a cv joint are they replaced as a set? How will I know if its the inner or the outer? Again I think I need a second opinion on this as well.

Cheers,

Jon
            Last edited by E_T_V; 2nd October 2004, 21:48.

Comment

The outer CV joints usually make a knocking noise when going round corners. The inner ones usually just rumble all the time. Chances are it'll be the outer ones as they always seem to go first. My inner ones have 200k on them and they only just need looking at now!
              Last edited by E_T_V; 2nd October 2004, 21:49.

Comment

Hi

I got a second opinion, and it is definitely one of the cv joints. My friend reckons that I would be better off buying a second hand driveshaft from a breakers than a new one - any comments?

Cheers,

Jon

Comment

Recently I priced up some outer CV joints for my campervan at around 40 quid each. Not bad I think. The problem with another from a scrap vehicle is you really can't tell the condition of CV joints by just looking at them. I'm actually going to use second hand shafts for my camper but as i've driven in and own the car that they are from I know they are ok for now. Also depending on the scrap yard the driveshafts might not be the easiest things in the the world to get off especially of the cars are stacked.
                  Last edited by E_T_V; 6th December 2004, 15:32.

Comment

Working...
                  X