Lancaster Classic Motor Show - 12th to 15th November at the NEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancaster Classic Motor Show - 12th to 15th November at the NEC

As some of you will know, the Maestro & Montego Owners Club have been successful in getting a stand at this year's Classic Motor Show. This is really good news as it is becoming harder and harder to get a stand at this show as it is significantly oversubscribed. This provides a chance for the club and cars to shine, both with the general public and also with the classic car press. It also provides an opportunity for members to come and chats to club officials.

I'm aware that last year a number of members did not know that the club had a stand there and did not have the opportunity to offer their cars or help with the stand.

As well as there being notification in the next edition of Monstro, I will also start a thread here for members who wants to contribute to the stand.

Do you have a car/van that you would like to exhibit? If you do, please can you post below, send me a message or email by 31st August. It might be beneficial for those who have not shown a car at the Classic Motor Show to have some idea about what's involved.

Usually vehicles need to be in very good condition, or if not in very good condition, it would need to be a very interesting vehicle.

Vehicles need to be in bought to the NEC sometime on Thursday 12th November (we are allocated a window of time to get the club's vehicles in) and have to remain on the stand until the show finishes on Sunday 15th November. They cannot be moved.

It is my preference (but is negotiable) that you allow interested members of the public to sit in your car. Obviously, this will be done under supervision and isn't a free for all.

We are able to offer the owner/driver of the vehicle a free ticket to the show for each day they wish to attend. We are also able to offer free parking for another car in the NEC car park (normally costs £10). Also, we can offer another ticket for the Thursday and Sunday to you to give to the person helping you bring your car in on the Thursday and take it away on the Sunday. In return for this, we ask you for the days that you are at the NEC and have a free ticket from the club, that you help man the stand on a rota of one hour on to either two or three hours off (these will be arranged with you beforehand). Manning that stand involves chatting to the public/visiting members, making them feel welcome, passing on information about how to join the club (there will be either me or a committee member on the stand all the time, so you can refer questions that you don't know) and generally maintaining a presence. We don't have seating on the stand as this takes up space and can look untidy, but you will only need to do one hour on your feet at a time. Obviously, should you have a disability and require a seat, or be a wheelchair user, that's fine. We also ask those manning the stand not to eat on it (unless it's cake which is being shared with the public), and there are plenty of places where you can eat when you're not on the stand. We will provide 500 mls bottles of water as being on the stand can be thirsty work.

For members who aren't exhibiting a car and would like a free ticket to the show, the above as applies, so in return for the ticket you would help man the stand on a rota basis.

We will also need help on the Thursday, so if any of you are about and would like to help set the stand up (laying carpet is quite a big job on the list), we'd love your help. We can get free wristbands for this. It's usually fun setting up and you get a chance to see the other stands coming together.

The theme for this year's stand is 'She's a beauty', which can be interpreted in whichever way we want. The budget for the stand hasn't been confirmed (I would like to ask for £500, but we would only spend that if needs be), so I would be grateful if you could put your thinking caps on for that theme, as currently my mind is blank on it. I'm not a fan of that theme at all, so all ideas are welcome.

For the stand so far, we have 'Austin Rover' green carpet from last year and will be having a MG Montego Turbo cake (cost £30, unless someone would like to bake one, in which case we can pay for ingredients). We hope to be able to get a Montego celebrity to cut the cake and we will advertise the day and time in advance, as soon as we know. While I've applied for a six car stand, it is possible that we might only be given a four car stand, and I am still waiting to hear about the size of the stand which we have been allocated.

My criteria for choosing cars are:

I would like one of each shape, so a Montego saloon, Montego estate, Maestro hatch and Maestro van.
    I would like to be able to represent both MG and Vanden Plas.
    I would like at least two members who haven't ever shown at car at the NEC to be able bring their cars.
    Ideally, I would prefer cars on our stand to have not been on our stand in the last five years, and not shown at the show on other stands within the past three years. However, for rare models which are popular with the public, this isn't always possible.
    Ideally, I would like a digi dash as these are popular with the public and are interactive.

However, if you would like to bring your car, please do put it forward. The larger pool I have to choose from the better. Also, if you have any questions, please shout. Members are welcome to put their cars forward either in this thread, via personal message or via email. Members wishing to volunteer for helping with the stand please do the same. My email is tanyafield@supanet.com and number is 07929 868284.

Dates - to put your car forward, please let me know by 31st August (I will let you know by 14th September), to volunteer for the stand in return for a free ticket, please let me know by 30th September and I will let you know by the 5th October.

Please note that only members can put their cars forward to be on the stand and receive free tickets to the show. However, you're welcome to join before you put yourself/car forward - http://www.maestro.org.uk/memapp.cgi

Details of the show can be found here - http://www.necclassicmotorshow.com/

I expect I've forgotten a few things, but that's a start. I look forward to some of you putting your cars forward, volunteering for the stand and your ideas on how to interpret that theme!
    Last edited by Tanya; 8th June 2015, 18:36.

i would like to put my car forward its never been on a stand has such, took it to POL this year first time i took it anywhere in about 7 years, either way happy to help out.
    Its about time i got my hands dirty

MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Comment

nec

Hi Tanya,if nobody else is taking a digi-dash maestro , I could bring mine to the show,no problem ,just let me know.
      Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Hi Tanya,

be happy to bring either of my Montego's if needed, also am happy to help on the stand.

Ray
        MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
        Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
        MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

Hi Tanya, id be happy to bring my white MG montego facelift along, its an immaculate car with low miles, im close to the NEC too.
          Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic response so far :-) Keep them coming :-)

Thanks everyone, this is great. I've also had a couple of cars offered via Facebook.

Any ideas on what to do with the theme?

Comment

Long overdue update!

Sorry be being so rubbish at keeping this updated.

Sadly our stand was smaller than hoped so we can only take four cars. However, a big thank you to everyone who offered their cars - thank you very much.

We're taking Jeff Patterson's MG Montego Turbo, Phil Pope's MG Maestro Turbo, Rob Tyrell's Montego and Tom Swann's Maestro.

However, we still have some free tickets available for members who would like to help out on the stand on a rota basis. I have had requests from Andy Stevens and Martyn Hubbard. Would any other members like a free ticket in return for helping us for a few hours on the day.

If you do, please let me know by Sunday 1st November as I would like to get the tickets posted out on Monday 2nd November.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X