Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monstro! Do you have a Maestro/Montego story which you would like to have included?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monstro! Do you have a Maestro/Montego story which you would like to have included?

We are currently working on Monstro which is now annual and will be coming out in December. We would like to be able to include as many of your stories as we can. While we will be having pieces from the archive, simple 'how dos', event reports, event listings etc, it's great to be able to include stories from you, whether about your current Maestro/Montego, ones you once owned or anything that you wish to share with us about Maestros and Montegos.

It doesn't matter how many words you want to write but we do like photos, so please do send in high res versions with your words. Also, don't worry about spelling, grammar etc as we have a committee member who can correct anything which needs correcting, so please don't be put off if you don't think you're a writer. There is a writer in everyone!

Please can you send anything which you would like to be included to tanyafield@supanet.com by Sunday 16th October.

Thank you very much

Tanya

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n317869[/ATTACH] Some weeks ago, a friend of mine called me to ask if I was interested in buying an MG Montego Turbo.
    Of course I was just very excited about it.
    My friend sent me the contact of the person who was selling the car on behalf the car owner, and then I immediately got in touch with him.
    This person is a mechanic who takes care of the other cars of the MG owner.
    He told me the story of the car.
    This car belonged to a Portuguese emigrant, who was working in the UK, and wanted to buy an MG Montego Turbo. But as he had intentions to return to Portugal some time later, he wanted a LHD car, to be able to use the car in Portugal.
    The problem is that the dealer had no LHD cars for delivery in the UK. The solution was to import a car that exist in Sweden, with very few kilometers and short time of use.

The 1987 car was imported into the UK and recommissioned, getting license plates of UK in same year.
    Two years later, in 1989, the emigrant returned to Portugal, bringing the MG Montego Turbo with him.
    After using the car a few years, the car burned the head gasket, and damaged the engine.
    The engine was completely repaired with new parts and became as new. But the mechanic could not tune the engine properly, and the car was not used again, and remained stopped about 19 years in the garage.

The problem was easy to solve, but they have not identified it correctly. The air supply hoose to the turbo was damaged from the inside. The hoose inner layer was loose, and when the turbo started to work and needed more air, the hoose inner layer imploded and, the turbo did not receive air and the engine was not working.

My friend Mario Abreu of Godspeed solved the problem very easily, and the MG Montego Turbo engine is now working very well.

Because the car has stopped for a long time, the license plates were canceled, and now I have to recommission the car to reactivate the license plates. But for this, the MG Montego Turbo needs some repairs.
    He needs the new front shock absorbers, a rear muffler, new tires, and a complete overhaul of the brakes, and of course a general deep cleaning."

At present, this should be the only MG Montego Turbo existing in Portugal. Only one unit was imported from Spain by the official importer, for the presentation of the model in the Portuguese market.
    Due to the high tax burden in Portugal for vehicles with engine capacity exceeding 1600cc, the price of MG Montego Turbo in Portugal was extremely high, so not sold any units here.
    We do not know the whereabouts of the car imported at that time, so it is assumed that my MG Montego Turbo is unique in Portugal.
    1963 Austin 1100
    1970 Austin Maxi 1.5
    1970 Austin 1800
    1970 Morris 1300
    1973 Jaguar XJ6 4.2
    1975 Austin Allegro 1.5
    1977 Morris Marina 1.3
    1981 Austin Metro 1.3
    1983 MG Metro 1.3
    1984 Austin Metro 1.0 L
    1985 MG Metro Turbo
    1985 Austin Maestro 1.3
    1987 Austin Metro 1.3 Auto
    1987 Austin Montego Estate
    1987 Austin Montego 1.3
    1987 MG Montego Turbo
    1988 Austin Metro 1.0 5 Doors
    1988 Austin Montego 1.3
    1989 Austin Metro 1.0 3 Doors
    1995 Rover 111 SLi

Comment

Thank you very much jomag! We've hidden your post for now so not to spoil the surprise for those who read Monstro. Once Monstro's been out for a couple of weeks and members have had a chance to read it, I will unhide your post so that everyone can enjoy your story.

Please can you send the photos (as high res as possible) to tanyafield@supanet.com. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post
        Thank you very much jomag! We've hidden your post for now so not to spoil the surprise for those who read Monstro. Once Monstro's been out for a couple of weeks and members have had a chance to read it, I will unhide your post so that everyone can enjoy your story.

Please can you send the photos (as high res as possible) to tanyafield@supanet.com. Thank you

Ok Tanya

Done!

Kind regards

José
        1963 Austin 1100
        1970 Austin Maxi 1.5
        1970 Austin 1800
        1970 Morris 1300
        1973 Jaguar XJ6 4.2
        1975 Austin Allegro 1.5
        1977 Morris Marina 1.3
        1981 Austin Metro 1.3
        1983 MG Metro 1.3
        1984 Austin Metro 1.0 L
        1985 MG Metro Turbo
        1985 Austin Maestro 1.3
        1987 Austin Metro 1.3 Auto
        1987 Austin Montego Estate
        1987 Austin Montego 1.3
        1987 MG Montego Turbo
        1988 Austin Metro 1.0 5 Doors
        1988 Austin Montego 1.3
        1989 Austin Metro 1.0 3 Doors
        1995 Rover 111 SLi

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post
          The post is still visible Tanya!
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post

The post is still visible Tanya!
            Only to admin type people which is why you can see it. I asked Jean to help me

Comment

Working...
            X