Wheel Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Nuts

#436 came with locking wheel nuts, but no key to undo them, so had to resort to banging a socket on them to undo. Now looking to get this sorted and bought a set of "Ripspeed" (aka Halfords) locking wheel nuts. Checking them before fitting, I find that the locking nuts are twice as heavy as the standard? chrome wheels that were fitted. Question is now, do I try and find standard wheel nuts that are weight equivalent to the new locking nuts, lighter M12 locking nuts, or just get 4 more standard wheel nuts and not bother with locking ones at all?
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

I've moved away from locking wheel nuts Pete because of issues which you've faced removing them. I'd a set I couldn't remove with the key and ended up damaging the wheel to get it off.

Given my use and where I park etc I now don't bother however always depends whether you want the additional security if you think your alloys are likely to get stolen.

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
    Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
    Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

You can buy a locking wheel nut removal set very easily for not a lot of money. Using this the nuts / bolts take the same effort to remove as a standard nut (or less as quite often they aren't done up as tight!) or as stated banging a socket does the trick but a little noisier! For this reason alone I never bother with locking nuts, a decent alarm with a tilt sensor is a better option if you are worried. (Don't put the stickers on the windows informing the thief which alarm system he has to avoid!!)

Comment

Just to add - if you have a dremel tool or similar just scribe your reg into an inner spoke on all wheels quite small. Yes this can be ground out but once covered with a bit of brake dust might not be instantly visible and if then seen on another car a quick check can determine if they are yours.

Comment

Our wheels fit very little else on the road and aren't very desirable. I'd be tempted to fit standard wheel nuts. They are a 60 deg taper washer type - pretty common.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
          X