fuel filter help please where is it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel filter help please where is it

is there a fuel filter on the face lift mg montego turbo as my pump is working there is fuel in the car but getting nothing through the pipes at all any help would be appreciated t.i.a

If it isn't obvious in the engine bay then there isn't one. Many don't have one.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

The Efi had a fuel filter, the turbos did not.
      midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Originally posted by jake_bullet View Post
        is there a fuel filter on the face lift mg montego turbo as my pump is working there is fuel in the car but getting nothing through the pipes at all any help would be appreciated t.i.a
        Only early MG Montego Turbo's had small fuel filters to the top right side of the plenum.
        If you aren't getting any fuel from the pipe at the carb then you either don't have enough fuel in the tank, the pipe could be blocked with stale fuel from the pump or swirlpot or your fuel pump isn't working. Have you tried to remove the pipe from the pump to the front of the car? If petrol comes out then try the swirlpot.
        As you have been using the car, dissreguard the stale fuel.
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          Only early MG Montego Turbo's had small fuel filters to the top right side of the plenum.
          If you aren't getting any fuel from the pipe at the carb then you either don't have enough fuel in the tank, the pipe could be blocked with stale fuel from the pump or swirlpot or your fuel pump isn't working. Have you tried to remove the pipe from the pump to the front of the car? If petrol comes out then try the swirlpot.
          As you have been using the car, dissreguard the stale fuel.
          found my pump is dead yet another problem so i got a new pump and fuel regulator on order finger crossed that works

Comment

Hi Jeff.

That small canister is a vapour separator rather than a fuel filter, so you could think of it as a device for filtering out vapour from liquid fuel I suppose. It is often confused with a fuel filter due to its physical appearance but it has 3 connections rather than 2. It also appeared on the 1.6 S series MG Maestro to try tackle some of their vaporisation problems.

Regards, Gary

Comment

Originally posted by G Force View Post
              Hi Jeff.

That small canister is a vapour separator rather than a fuel filter, so you could think of it as a device for filtering out vapour from liquid fuel I suppose. It is often confused with a fuel filter due to its physical appearance but it has 3 connections rather than 2. It also appeared on the 1.6 S series MG Maestro to try tackle some of their vaporisation problems.

Regards, Gary
              Hi Gary
              I've only ever seen it in pictures of early MG Montego Turbo engines, and it does look like a small fuel filter but I bow to your vast knowledge and now know what it is.
              Cheers
              Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff, I'm guessing you are refering to this. Appologies if not
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jeff, I'm guessing you are refering to this. Appologies if not
                  No it isn't Gary, I know what that is.
                  When I took some spares to MG Rick the other month he showed me a picture of his MG Montego Turbo when it was the press car and it showed, what looked like, a small fuel filter inside a round bracket bolted to the right hand side of the carb/plenum.
                  The bracket is still on his car so I was interested in what it was as I hadn't seen one before and we both agreed it could be for a small fuel filter.

Comment

No it isn't Gary, I know what that is.
                    When I took some spares to MG Rick the other month he showed me a picture of his MG Montego Turbo when it was the press car and it showed, what looked like, a small fuel filter inside a round bracket bolted to the right hand side of the carb/plenum.
                    The bracket is still on his car so I was interested in what it was as I hadn't seen one before and we both agreed it could be for a small fuel filter.
                    Oh I see Jeff, That is not something I have ever come across in service, so I'll hold my hands up and say fair play to you sorry I don't know.

Regards Gary

Comment

Oh I see Jeff, That is not something I have ever come across in service, so I'll hold my hands up and say fair play to you sorry I don't know.

Regards Gary
                      Well that's a first Gary, you not knowing about the filter
                      With a bit of luck Rick maybe along soon to post up a picture of it

Comment

Yep Tis true lol mine did have a fuel filter ! I'll take a pic soon , was gonna today but took the monty for a long run and forgot to take a pic before putting it back in garage doh !

Comment

Thats Funny because when my car was serviced recently the garage owner said to me you might like to get a new fuel filter pop it back in and well soon fit it for you as we havn/t had time to find one . I asked him where is the fuel filter he said lift the bonnet and i will show you. I said i think i know where you mean and pointed to the picture that G force has highlighted. He said thats it.
                          So if its not a fuel filter what is it? Is it tje vapour seperator which g force refers to ?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by The Professor; 12th August 2012, 17:16.

Comment

Originally posted by The Professor View Post
                            Thats Funny because when my car was serviced recently the garage owner said to me you might like to get a new fuel filter pop it back in and well soon fit it for you as we havn/t had time to find one . I asked him where is the fuel filter he said lift the bonnet and i will show you. I said i think i know where you mean and pointed to the picture that G force has highlighted. He said thats it.
                            So if its not a fuel filter what is it? Is it tje vapour seperator which g force refers to ?
                            Swirlpot also known as a vapour seperator, no filter there Proff

Comment

Working...
                            X