had a bit of a crash!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had a bit of a crash!

hi everyone, i had a bit of a smash at croft today, so need a few things if you have them...

1 x right front wing, 1 x front bumper , 1 x bonnet...will post photo on soon.

I have used and new front bumpers (plastic)
    pretty sure I have used bonnets, and maybe a used wing, not sure wich side.

Other than the crash, how did you do?

Mal.

Comment

PROGRESS IN RACE

well mal, qualifiying was interupted by my inercia switch coming on when i went over a rumble strip,as it is my new car i didn't even check it was still on there, so qualified last.

started the race, lap 6 the clutch went, so retired, i can't do mechanics so one of my fellow racers changed the clutch ready for sunday, soent 4 hrs under the car and did it fine, thhought it was the gearbox to start off with but we were lucky!

went out in terrential rain, and from the back carved my way up the field to get into 2nd in my class, then tried to overtake an mgf and the car snapped and hit the tyre barrier at 100mph. so car is now bent on one side bent bulkhead and a few other things, but is on the jig this week to get pulled out!

ready for the mgcc race on sept 5th at cadwell.

videos on youtube so here are the links, the crash is amazing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWukWYbRLaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtv2-8c2QiI

Comment

What a shame,that was the best bit of driving ive seen in ages !
        Whats the car an early Efi or a 1600?
        Every time i see croft i cant believe how much its changed from the rallyX circuit I spent so much at in the 80s,I cant actually remember it before it closed the first time as a racing circuit the last time I went to tht was the day Mountbatten was killed.
        Have you got a bonnet yet? I have a slightly bent but repairable one

Comment

nearly caught it

thanks russ for that compliment, i tried my best to catch the slide,but it just snapped..the track was so wet! the car is a 2.0 efi,not sure of the year,but i always say its 1989!

luckily i sourced an mg maestro c reg last week, and that now is being used to repair my one, they need to replace the inner wing and alot more besides...thanks for the offer anyway

where abouts are you based,you should come to one of the races.

Comment

Im in Norfolk,I used to go to Snetterton to watch the maestros but havent got round to it for the last few years

Comment

snetterton

the mgoc racing series,which is where i was racing with at croft is there in a couple of weeks,but there is only 2 maestros at the minute,so probably not worth it,but when i am next there with a few more racing i will let you know.henry

Comment

Phil here Henry - you came to look at some driveshafts the other day. Bad luck you were doing well till that happened. I think I saw you on the Harborough bypass on your way to the races - I was going the other way in my black Turbo.
                Hope you get it fixed soon!

Comment

i saw you!

hi phil,yes that was me ready to go to the race....i was all positive then! now i am a mess!!!

car is being worked on , on the jig this week,so should be ok

Comment

I went on Sunday and got very wet. Did wonder where you disappeared lol. I was sat on the bank at the first corner so missed the crash. Shame there is Only 3 maestros now, last time I went back in 06 the field was full of them. They seem very competitive as well especial in the wet, cornering much flatter and faster than the Z's and F's. Is it Ben Short that had the blue Maestro, he was hammering the Z's and F's on the wet track at the start overtaking a few each lap but as the track dried out he got re-overtaken obviously they where able to put the extra power down. Was some other good racing as well, them BMW's where sliding everywhere more like drifting then racing and them Formula Fords had a good game of bumper cars, where do they get the spares from. Must remember to take an umbrella next time.
                    MG Maestro Turbo #500
                    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
                    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
                    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

good race

yes ben short is the championship leader, but with only 2 maestros and one of them is his dad, not really much to race against. my clutch went on saturday race and ben kindly changed it all for me ready for sunday.

the track was so wet and the car just wanted to slide on every corner, i was just trying to feather it all the way round.

the mgf's and the zr's and the midgets/mgbs have real trouble putting their power down in the rain, and i was overtaking all of them even though i started from the back!

i knew the track was drying out and i was trying to catch ben so i tried to get past a yellow mgf before it got too dry so i didn't have him in the middle of me and ben as the mgf is in a different class, and if he was faster i would never overtake him....but tried to hard and spun...have a look at the video links on the top of this post.....cracking footage.henry

Comment

Excellent video footage. Shame about the clutch in the first race. Shame about the crash too, but luckily the damage doesn't look too bad.

I must say that I was impressed with your driving. You looked considerably quicker than some of those other drivers in faster cars, who didn't look nearly as brave in the braking areas and bends.

With hindsight, could you have saved that crash with a load of throttle to cancel out the initial oversteer, or does that only work with very powerful FWD cars?

Keep up the good work (apart from the crashing bit!).

Mike

Comment

i tried!

hi there mike.

to answer your question....

it all went too quick!,

as i had already done 2 laps, every corner, the back end of the car was stepping out and i was controlling the slide with the throttle.

the problem on that corner where i crashed was that looking back i went over the curb and as you don't change down till the next corner(sunny in) i was flat out in 4th gear, nearly full revs and i just didn't have time to change down....it just really slid away from me.

in retrospect i should have put my foot on the clutch, changed to 3rd and floored it, but i just didn't have time.

i have seen the crash so many times now it just annoys me that i crashed...when looking back at it, i always think "if only i did that" but its easy to say that afterwards...

went to see the car yesterday and all the front side is stripped and ready for the jig...

after you take everything off the car, it doesn't seem that bad, but the guy assures me it is!! the chassis has split away from the inner wing.....but all will be welded etc.

i am out at cadwell park on sept 5th so hopefully i will get a descent finish there!!!!and make up for it........

also people may wonder why i have no gloves on, well its because on the first race(saturday) i had no grip from them as my little brother used then for go karting and they had oil all over them, so i didn't wear any on sunday, which is completely in the rules when i asked. but i am not stupid i will be wearing new ones for cadwell....my dad is racing then as well, the first race though, in case i do anything to the car again!!!

thanks for all your comments though, keeps me going!

Comment

Yes, I can see now that you didn't really have any time to react. Certainly not enough to change down and give it the throttle!

Don't be too annoyed about crashing; I think you were right on the limit there a lot of the time, so you are bound to go off course every now and again!

Good luck with the repairs and good luck at Cadwell too.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X