dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dashboard

how difficult is it going to be to replace my dashboard(facia). any pitfulls i should look out for. regards dave

Two people make fitting it easier, but otherwise its pretty straightforward. The most fiddly bit it usually removing the speedo cable from the back of the instrument pack.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

That's an understatement! - You'll get to a point where everything is released and you're ready to remove the complete dash, but the speedo cable still won't part

Solution
      Go to petshop, buy a mouse, give him a couple days training, some strong tiny gloves and send him behind the dash to pull cable from drive - you'll have to bargain with him first - just let him know he can nest in the foam panel under the dash
      :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Comment

I have not tried this job on a Maestro, but a few times on my Metro! I you cannot get hold of a trained mouse, a better solution is to remove the speedocable from the gearbox, so you can pull the dash further out!
        Current vehicles

Ledbury Maestro 2001
        MG Maestro 1986
        MG Montego Turbo 1987
        Austin Metro 1.3 HLE 1984
        Austin Allegro 1975
        Morris Marina 1.3 Coupe 1973
        Princess 2200 HLS 1976
        Morris Six 1954
        Austin A55 1958
        Leyland Sherpa 1976
        NSU Ro80 1969
        Trabant 601 1969
        Tatra 613 1978
        Chevrolet El Camino 1959
        Oldsmobile 442 1965
        Renault 16 1972
        Kawasaki 750 H2 1973
        Austin Maxi 1750 1974
        Austin Allegro 1750 HL 1979
        Austin Mini 850 1964

Former Vehicles

To many to list..:laugh:

Comment

I don't really understand why disconnecting the speedo cable is hard Unless it is that all the ones I have changed were when the cars were reasonably new. It was just a case of locating (ok you have to force your hand behind the dash a bit) the cable connection and squeeze the end of the plastic with your thumb and forefinger and the cable pulls away easy

Comment

It's the getting your thumb and forefinger to the connection! You need an extra elbow!

Comment

That's why I suggested the 'mouse' (I actually had one - yeah, a real mouse living in my Monty).

Actually, the disconnect at box end makes sense (to pull cable through). Why can't you think of the obvious at the time?

Comment

Yes I feed as much of the speedo cable through from the engine bay to give more slack behind the speedo cluster to make room for my fat fingers. There is a knack to it and it'll either almost fall off in your hands or you'll swear at it a lot!
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Its really easy, and I don't have small girly hands either! Just feel around the plastic bush until you find the flat spot with the grooves on, and push it, theres normally enough tension on the instrument pack, so it will just pop out.

Getting it back on is sometimes harder, as you have to line up the square drive pin, with the square drive hole in the speedo unit.

Otherwise, make sure that all the multiplugs under the glove box lid are unplugged. Mk2 dash had two plugs, a long flat one, and a smaller one. Later Mk3 dash only had the long flat one.

Remove the gear knob, otherwise you will scrape it on the way out with the metal plate on the bottom of the dash centre, both me and Simon have had this experience, and its not very pleasant.

Comment

I'm fitting my early maestro dashboard now. Is there a rubber that's sits into the metal channel, or just the chunky thick rubber strip that cloaks the gap up to the screen?
                    also, is there just the brackets either side that the dash fits to or anymore?

Comment

Working...
                    X