• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapped maestro turbo

Was browsing the net for parts when I found this

http://www.infinicar.com/f744.asp

It doesn't even look that bad. Gutted.

It had some scary rust in structural places.
    Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

What a waste I would of had a go at that. How scary was the structral Corrosion???

Comment

Originally posted by SubCat001
        What a waste I would of had a go at that. How scary was the structral Corrosion???

We considered the project ourselves on this particular car, but unfortunately the seller wanted £500 for it. This was far too much money for the condition of the car, when you consider a perfectly decent turbo with tax and mot was up for £800 on ebay recently and no-one bid on it.

The stuctural rust was on the pillars and sills, the turbo bumper was also cracked and it needed a complete respray. It also required new doors.

This was all along time ago now, and the plight of the car was well documented on the mgbbs. Perhaps the discussion of the car is best left now, as at the time the seller created alot of friction with other maestro turbo enthusiasts by breaking the car.
        Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I would have gladly parted with 500 notes for that, it looks fine to me and thats 80% of the battle. with any car of that age you are going to need to spend money but some welding here and there to keep it going whilst you get round to the full job is easy enough to sort.

maybe 400 would have been a better price but in the interest of saving a turbo, id have forked out the extra 100. its probably not arround anymore, but if the shell is still there it might make the basis of an original turbo rebuild from the ground up using new/ recon parts. wonder haw much the shell would cost

Andy
          CURRENT FLEET:
          1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
          1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
          1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
          2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
          1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

i would have paid 500 for it too would have used it for my monty and convert it to a turbo.

Comment

I have written to the breakers and am hoping for a reply soon. I hope there is still some left of the car

Comment

The bonnet went to Matt Semple - I collected it for him !
                If you trawl around the Infinicar site you will find Paul's phone number, much better than writing. Paul is an OK bloke BTW (IMO, having met him). I do remember the furore about this car, it was only a few months ago. It seems a shame how rough turbos can't find buyers for ages, then often when it's too late somebody says I'd have bought it!
                midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

I too remember the car, some people got really stressed when Paul said he was going to braek it as no one would buy it complete. He is running a business and understandable needs to run at a profit, I beleive he was actually willing to take a slight loss on this one to keep it on the road but no one was willing to pay the money.

Having cut up a few cars, rust in the pillers on maestro/montegos is scarey.

Steve - if you want a turbo monty look for one, there are a lot out there if you are willing to look.

James

Comment

As said by skatie, the car was a wreck, and most of the unique bits were damaged or missing and he simple overestimated the value of the car. We offered him a more than fair price but he couldn't accept it (which is fair enough), the shell really needed a lot of work and money spent on it. It'll still be there I'm sure with most of the parts on it as I saw a lot of the parts advertised on e-bay and they didn't sell.
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

500 notes is a little steep...I was thinking more in the region of 200. Oh well I'd guessed Sills & Pilars. Repairable..but quite a bit of effort. Seems a shame to see another Maestro goto waste.

Comment

Turbo 113

Yes this was a shame. I think the seller misjudged his purchase and thought that he would make alot of money selling the spares. Unfortunately all the spares that were available from the car were bits you can get off a standard Maestro.

I guess we (as a group of enthusiasts) are all to blame as none of us were prepared to buy the whole car. In the end lots of the items went on ebay and I bought the bonnet for £1 (yes - one pound)

Let's hope someone can save the bodyshell and rebuld the car so that Turbo 113 can be saved. It's a tall order though, even if it has not been crushed. However on Sunday I saw some an amazing picture of a Flame Red Maestro Turbo being rebuilt (with new pillars) so it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                        X