No announcement yet.

Sorting out my MG1600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jeff - well it worked, the car passed first time, with no advisories. I think the MOT tester was a bit surprised that he couldn't find anything wrong with it!

It now has a new centre exhaust section so it is no longer blowing either.

As always, when I have not driven it for a while, I was amazed by the acceleration. Now it has the new exhaust it is also incredibly quiet at speed and so light to drive and steer.

I am looking forward to taking it to a few shows now
    Attached Files

Comment

That's excellent Matthew.
      Bet he doesn't even test another MG1600 this year let alone pass one.
      Well done.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I think the last MG Maestro they tested was my other one.

Comment

Nice one Matt!

C

Comment

Latest update is that my tax disc arrived in the post yesterday so the car is now fully road-legal for the first time since April 2009. I am looking forward to taking it out at the weekend.

The excise for a pre-2001 car with an engine size of over 1549cc went up to £215 in April. This was by far the single most expensive item required to get the car back on the road.

Comment

good to hear matt,will have to keep an eye out for the car while im out and about this weekend
              1993 rover montego countryman TD

Comment

I'm going to look at a MG Maestro 1600 (R) tomorrow........ A923 FGR as registrations go. Fingers crossed she is as good as she looks and I will be coming home with a rarity

Might need some help and advice from yourself in a short while I am assuming that most outer body panels are able to be bought brand new or sourced second hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Boot Hill Bandit View Post
                  I'm going to look at a MG Maestro 1600 (R) tomorrow........ A923 FGR as registrations go. Fingers crossed she is as good as she looks and I will be coming home with a rarity

Might need some help and advice from yourself in a short while I am assuming that most outer body panels are able to be bought brand new or sourced second hand.
                  How very exciting - I hope you buy it as I have not heard of that registration before. According to the How Many Left? site at the end of 2010 there were 10 taxed and 22 SORN MG1600s - that is both R- and S-series cars.

The panels are all common to other Maestros. Make sure the carbs and other MG1600 specific parts like the digital dash are all in place.

Other than that - buy, buy, buy!

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
                    How very exciting - I hope you buy it as I have not heard of that registration before. According to the How Many Left? site at the end of 2010 there were 10 taxed and 22 SORN MG1600s - that is both R- and S-series cars.

The panels are all common to other Maestros. Make sure the carbs and other MG1600 specific parts like the digital dash are all in place.

Other than that - buy, buy, buy!
                    They are and it is fully functioning. Failed mot on emissions which leads me to believe either the carbs are notvset up properly or it needs the cylinder head to come off for work for being run on unleaded.

Hope to buy her today I really do. She is only 5 months younger than me which makes the car even more special no matter how rare she is as well.

Comment

MG Maestro 1600 register?

Just a thought...........is there or should there be a MG Maestro 1600 register since there are so few left? might be worth doing one if it hasn't been done so we can keep a record of who owns what remaining cars are left........

Do we have build numbers for these cars as well??? The modern Zed range have 'commission numbers'........just wondered if there is anything I need to look out for when viewing the 1600 this afternoon.

Comment

Having just brought quite a few parts down from the barn.

It looks like I may well have brought down some R series bits.

so if you need anything give me a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                          Having just brought quite a few parts down from the barn.

It looks like I may well have brought down some R series bits.

so if you need anything give me a shout.
                          Thanks Mal a new engine or cylinder head would probably be a start and heaven knows what else

Pilot Sportsvan has long since gone by the way.........and The Red Devil MG ZS180.............really hope this MG Maestro 1600 is as good as it seems! The seller has the MOT failure sheet which only lists the high emissions as the failure so I am hoping it remains only that to worry about!

Structural welding I hope to avoid.........bodywork I think I can cope with

Comment

Well I know I have two new carbs for an MG 1600,

but I think they are both the same side and for an S series.

mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Boot Hill Bandit View Post
                              Just a thought...........is there or should there be a MG Maestro 1600 register since there are so few left? might be worth doing one if it hasn't been done so we can keep a record of who owns what remaining cars are left.........
                              There is Matt runs it.
                              Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Picture

Here's a picture I took last week - to prove it's back in use!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X