Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads 'n' smoke

Hi

If my Masetros been stood a week when I first try to start it I have to turn it over longer than I would expect and get a large puff of oil smoke out the back... stood only a couple of days its fine and it aced the emissions on the MOT.

Does anyone have any thoughts, Im hoping valve stem seals as the idea of piston rings scares me. I was going to take the head off try and confirm this while its laid-up, is there a better way to confirm without removing the head. If Im going to remove the head is there anything else I should do at the same time. Also if Im removing the head is it worth replacing with something newer, there are plenty of places selling uprated replacements for the mini cooper (I believe they are similar?? Can anyone confirm this).

I realise this means it may not be origional, but as its a 2001 ledbury it feel new enough to play with while keeping the spirit. (I would be tempted to make a hybrid maestro if I can find a dead prius cheap enough).

1.3 A+ Series with 59K

Thanks
    1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
    1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
    Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

To be honest I'd look at fixing why it takes longer to start than usual first. Chances are that'll be the reason for the smoke

Low miles so valve stem seals shouldn't be too much of an issue yet. They are a doddle to change anyhow if the head is off.

The upgrade heads that many minis are after are actually the same as the maestro ones, well the same bigger valves anyhow.

Most of the other mini tuning stuff would fit though if you wanted (hotter cams, larger ratio rockers etc).
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
      To be honest I'd look at fixing why it takes longer to start than usual first. Chances are that'll be the reason for the smoke
      Was thinking it was almost the other way around, ie oil getting onto the plugs or similar stopping ignition. Ive removed them but not found any evidence. I have changed out the rotor arm and distributor cap as these were worn but its not cleared.

I say it takes longer to start but maybe Im being unfair, my old Maestro used to start with a touch of the key, infact I once bump started it within a foot (parked on a hill with a car in front). This ones takes maybe 5/6 secs which I know sounds short but is quite long when holding a key.

I like the idea of looking from the other end, the smoke as a symptom, it is very white rather than bluey.
      1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
      1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB

Comment

It might be that your fuel pump diaphragm might have a small split in it. The mechanical pumps on our cars aren't the longest lasting items - quite why, I don't know. This will cause the plugs to foul as oil finds its way into the fuel, and also cause smoking and a decline in performance.
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Smell the dipstick to see if this is the case. If it smells of fuel then change the oil and the fuel pump. (A series ones are much more reliable than the S series ones which fail very frequently).

The smoke could be excess fuel being burnt off, or excess fuel causing it to wash the oil from the bores. It could be valve stem seals, but that usually wouldn't stop it from starting straight away.

Comment

Humm Oil doesnt smell of much... dirty oil maybe

Did notice one strange thing though, take the oil filler cap off and it struggles, there seems to be quite a lot of vacume inside the rocker cover which is something Ive not noticed before. Take the filler cap away and it pretty much refuses to start.

Changed the rocker gasket as it was leaking oil and checked the tappets which were all a little close and its running a bit smoother.

Did phone a Krypton tuning bloke who said it would be easy to sort by plugging his computer into it..... errrrrrr?
            1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
            1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB

Comment

Where are you based?

Comment

Taunton, South West.
                1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
                1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB