Maestro Project Car: At Last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Project Car: At Last!

As you may know, my favourite Maestro is the MG Maestro 2.0i in black.

It was inevitable that, whilst I suffer from Megalamonstrania ,that such a car would grace my driveway with it's presence.

So, take a look at the pictures... you may recognise it.

Whilst on this subject, can I just ask that if anyone has a 2.0i gearknob going spare, I would be greatful if you could let me know.
    Attached Files
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Some more images...
    Attached Files
    Steve Worsley

Comment

very nice dident take y long to get a new car lol.
      MG Maestro Turbo #500
      BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
      Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Nice car, but how on earth are you going to afford insurance for it when you come of age? I'm 25 and I still can't afford to insure one of them.

*jealous*
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Looks nice! Whats project about it? Is there any rust spots, etc?

I would start saving now, as I dread to think what the insurance will be.

I doubt I could afford to insure it, and I am 24.
          Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Ah, insurance! I might be going as a second driver on mine, but that'll be in quite a while I assure you. Nice buy Steve! It's amazing what parts the owners tend to have in stock as spares. My genuine driving lights are an example of that, they can't be found anywhere. Is that really a project car? Looks fine enough to me.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
              Nice car, but how on earth are you going to afford insurance for it when you come of age? I'm 25 and I still can't afford to insure one of them.

*jealous*

Thers sumone on rovertech who has a 220 turbo who is 18 and he insures it, mind a think it cost 3.5K. What group is the 2.0i in.
              MG Maestro Turbo #500
              BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
              Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
              Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Insurance: i dread to think!

I dont live in a particularly favourable postcode when it comes to insurance, and i pay a smidge over £1000 as a named driver to drive a 1.3 Maestro - i couldnt even dream of owning a car with an engine any bigger than this as it would cripple my finances.

Steve, as very nice as that car is - once you reach driving age and considering you live in Salford, i feel you are more likely to get laughed at rather than get a quote when you 'phone an insurance company!

What jobs does it need doing? It looks in pretty good condition from the photograps.

Happy Mending!

Last edited by Austin-Rover; 6th July 2004, 12:31. Reason: Spelling

Comment

What makes this a "project" is shown the images below.

What I can't show in the pics is the number of run marks from a respray and rather large bubbles where paint was applied over an amount of rot.

Picture 187 shows a number of holes in the dashboard, created for reasons I am totally unsure of. Is there anything which I can apply to fill the holes and finish it off?

Picture 208 shows the front panel above the headlights, which has been brush painted. I will be stripping that down and spraying it sometime.

Picture 210 shows the underside of the bonnet, which I will take down and respray also.

Other than that, it has 11 months MoT remaining, a good engine, electric windows, and a decent sound system.

I am unsure as to what I think about the bronze tinted windows though...

It has remote central locking/alarm, although the front passenger door lock is a bit lazy... I am aware that there is a kit which is a straight swap?
                  Attached Files
                  Steve Worsley

Comment

Nice looking car, that. Comments on insurance don't need repeating - it'll be expensive! I really like bronze tinted windows - if they are the same level of tint as on the Vanden Plas, then they look just that bit classier than the clear ones on the base models.

Comment

Originally posted by F170 GGT
                      It has remote central locking/alarm, although the front passenger door lock is a bit lazy... I am aware that there is a kit which is a straight swap?
                      Maplins do a central door locking kit for £30, it is not a straight swap tho. You will have to drill a hole and mount the motors in a different place. If you try to mount the motors where the original is it fouls on the glass window.
                      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Does your car have the optional power steering and front electric windows by any chance? I understand these were expensive options. Also, I think the guy who owned your car before had a TR7 if I remember correctly.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

The car has electric front windows, but no power steering. The steering, however, is surprisingly lighter than the Ledbury, even though it has bigger wheels/tyres. (15/185s)

The car was very kindly delivered yesterday morning by none other than CyrixDes on the forums. You're right in thinking it's the chap who had the TR7, John.
                          Last edited by D87SMW; 6th July 2004, 19:19. Reason: Missed a number, making my alloys out to be pram wheel sized!
                          Steve Worsley

Comment

Insurance and other things

Insurance - I have had MG Maestros since I was 22 and the most I have ever paid is about £350. My girlfriend who is 26 insured my MG Maestro Turbo this year and it cost about £290 FC with a big excess and £300 with a smaller one.

Steve is not quite as old as 22 yet but even at 17 anything is possible if you phone around. Try those silly ads in the back of Fast Car, etc - think outside the square and you can save loads.

MG Maestro insurance groups:

1600 - 12
                            2.0i - 14
                            Turbo - 16

Nice looking car - there is a company that repairs the cracks in dashes so I'll find out who they are for you. PAS can be fitted but I wouldn't bother as I prefer unassissted cars (no choice on my MG Turbo though!)

One other thing you'll need to do to make it standard is remove that Maestro badge on the tailgate (they were not fitted after the Oct 88 facelift) And you need a Philips R670 Auto reverse coded radio. I can sell you one of these for a very good price!

Comment

That's VERY nice Steve

Black is my favourite colour of MG Maestro by far. There's something mysterious and classy about black cars. Mileage is not too scary for a 15-year-old car, but...DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT ROCKER-COVER! :laugh: :laugh: That has got to be THE most FRIGHTENINGLY HIDEOUS thing I have ever seen since I first saw my mother-in-law's underwear on her washing-line

Get it taken off and blasted back to bare metal, or get another one!
                              Regards
                              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Working...
                              X