Maestro 3-door pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro 3-door pictures

Anybody got any other pictures of the prototype shell that was built other than the ones on the AR-online site? One of my customers has just sold his Mk2 Golf for an obscene amount of money and wants me to build him one, just trying to work out proportions and if I'll need to shorten the shell, or make the C-pillar behind the rear window/in front of the tailgate thicker, even after lengthening the front doors it's a huge rear 1/4 window! I've seen a photoshop of a red turbo turned into a 3-door and it didn't work with the skinny pillar.

I personally think the shell wants shortening to close-in the wheelbase, lengthen the front doors and thicken-up the rear pillar.

The only pictures of it I have ever seen is the one on AROffline, which is the bare shell mounted on blocks. It might be the only picture there is.

Comment

Yep, they are the only ones I can find. I'm kind of hoping to swing him into something else (he wants a Maestro or Montego), though the more I type in my calculator the more the required budget is going up! I might suggest the Montego Gti that's on eBay and do something nice with that.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrct View Post
        Anybody got any other pictures of the prototype shell that was built other than the ones on the AR-online site? One of my customers has just sold his Mk2 Golf for an obscene amount of money and wants me to build him one, just trying to work out proportions and if I'll need to shorten the shell, or make the C-pillar behind the rear window/in front of the tailgate thicker, even after lengthening the front doors it's a huge rear 1/4 window! I've seen a photoshop of a red turbo turned into a 3-door and it didn't work with the skinny pillar.

I personally think the shell wants shortening to close-in the wheelbase, lengthen the front doors and thicken-up the rear pillar.

I doubt it needs shortening. A fatter pillar would be good (Not to MK2 Golf standards), as would lengthened doors.
        Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
        E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
        H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
        J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
        L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
        OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
        PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

I knocked this up for you. I haven't seen the AROnline prototype, but it seemed to me that the easiest way to knock that rear window into proportion is to add a kick up on the bottom edge and thicken the C pillar a little, but not too much.

Aesthetically, larger wheels and/or a suspension drop would help further I think.

Edited to add: I lengthened the door and shaved the handles off too, no bodyshell shortening happened.
          Last edited by Vulgalour; 30th November 2012, 23:47.

Comment

Darn good photoshopping! I think its missing the black triangle of plastic on the edge of the rear 1/4 light, other than that it looks pretty funky to me!
            1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
            1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
            Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Comment

Picture of a real prototype here:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars...door-maestros/

There's also some sketches by a designer who in the cabriolet thread suggests that all the designers were interested in the Rover XX - which was the Rover 800. And to be honest I can see why they devoted their energies to develop the very successful 200/400/600/800 ranges of cars that really turned the company around in the early nineties.
              Last edited by matthewsemple; 6th December 2012, 20:35.

Comment

3 door Maestro's just look odd to me. I've had a go but it looks - just - wrong
                Attached Files
                M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Angyl's got it. Just add in the black plastic triangle and that looks like a logical continuation of Allegro 2dr.
                  Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                  E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                  H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                  J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                  L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                  OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                  PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Im not keen on the kick up on the rear window. The proportions should be simmilar to the three door metro
                    Ive said this before on here i think the pics of the real shell is a motor sport project. Look how big the arches are, and why would a normal car need different front wings

Comment

Maestro 5 door FTW
                      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

That last sketch on the aronline site looks really good, should of been produced, but the shell would of worked to if I had gone into production.

Comment

seen this years ago , i think once my turbos complete my next project could be a 3door t16 - every mod is easy with the right parts ... its just an oldskool cut n shut

Comment

I did this photoshop using my Dads turbo a few years ago. I want to do one myself but too many projects already!

Ive never thought the quarter glass looked right because its so big as said. I tried to make the c pillar wider but I didnt like it. But I quite like the pic simon posted ^

Here it is...

Last edited by g200mss #146; 15th December 2012, 18:56.

Comment

Has anybody thought of trying the Sierra XR4/Rover GTi style with two rear side windows?

Or is the Maestro shape too boxy to carry it off?

Personally, I think Vulgalour's effort is the best execution so far.

And apologies to the OP for helping to keep this thread drifting away from what he originally asked
                              1983 (Y) MG 1600
                              1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                              1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                              1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                              1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                              1990 Clubman D
                              1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Working...
                              X