Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Sog216y Fire damaged R series.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The fuel pipes are checked for mot so this should not happen, Unless it was missed. The fuel pipe was advised on my sisters Maestro, not long after it was leaking all over the exhaust. So always check advises.

    Comment


    • #17
      so did you find it a flame and put it out then? Looks like you got away lightly really.

      Comment


      • #18
        I wouldn't rely on an MOT spotting bad fuel lines - often they can appear fine and then just split. actually an MOT Tester messing with the fuel pipes could create a problem as a weakness could be created leading to a burst later.

        I replace all mine in the engine bay as soon as i get a car. its less than a fiver for a length of rubber hose and some clips from a motor factor, and they are very easy to change.

        Another one for people with Twin Webber equiped cars - check the gaskets on the carb - or better still get them overhauled, if they are like the ones fitted to the Talbot Sunbeam TI / Lotus then in the ASOC club 2 members had problems - one Lotus was a total loss (full car burnt out) suspected gasket failure on the carb - and a TI model suffered a full engine fire with the same cause; also an Avenger suffered the same problem, but was lucky to be caught before a fire. I'm not sure exactly which part it is that fails, but I think its a rubber gasket under the carb.... Well worth checking

        Andy
        CURRENT FLEET:
        1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
        1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
        1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
        2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
        1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by countrydude View Post
          so did you find it a flame and put it out then? Looks like you got away lightly really.
          Not quite. I started it for a small trip to work, but was waiting for the screen to clear. I saw what i thought was steam in the headlights, but it was smoke. A quick 999 call , and i popped the bonnet. I didnt open it though. And i 2 mins a fire engine arrived. The fire men were excellent. Put it out quickly, and carefully. They dissconected the battery, and checked with thermal imaging it was out. The following morning i visited the fire station with a thankyou card and some mince pies

          Comment


          • #20
            Good man! that was decent of you. They certainly saved your car so the deserved it, a couple of mins longer it would have been toast!

            Comment


            • #21
              Very much so. I am indebted to binley fire station in coventry. Real nice guys

              Comment


              • #22
                That was a nice gesture, firemen deserve a lot of credit for the job they do.

                Having seen this car when I collected my montego turbo I am pleased your confident you can put it right, It's impressively clean in the flesh and should manage at least another 30 years once everything under the bonnet is replaced.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Thanks Stu i owe it to her to at least try. She is very original and the body is almost mint.
                  The engine, if not damged too much by the fire was excellent.
                  I do hope that monty turbo is doing well. I have seen some of your pics and vids, and i am highly impressed. God luck to you and happy new year to you and everyone else on the forum.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Progress

                    Have spent some time on sogy today. Removed the bonnet and all plastics except the brake pot. Then i took her out and jetwashed the engine bay. I am going to need a carb, airbox, expantion tank and washer bottle. Ill also need an oil cap. I have a spare brake resivoir. Things look promising! I wonder if the 1300 loom is the same as the r series. If i cant find one i will repair this one. Next stage, manifold removal and clean up, followed by the removal of the cam cover. I also need to find hose to go between the rad and thermostat housing.
                    I intend to prove a maestro really is for life, not just for christmas!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      looks like a good start to me... Once you get the last of the crap cleaned up, and some new bits on you'll be sorted
                      CURRENT FLEET:
                      1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                      1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                      1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                      2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                      1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        The top hose you need for your car is GRH698 (R series less MG)
                        this place has the last 14 of them www.aewilcox.co.uk
                        They dont list a price but with 14 of them and for a R series shouldnt be to much. The oil filler cap is CAM8638 but this is no longer available.

                        Good luck with getting all the bits you need, and remember those gloves, as said melted plastic is very bad stuff

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Just a thought what about rubber seals/ o rings? I'm thinking inside the master cylinder and carb depends what heat things got to I guess.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            moestro bonnet

                            hello, mate theres a red maestro bonnet on ebay bin price 10pound. don,t no item no but type in gauelgannet its in london. hope it helps. mark.
                            Last edited by mark williams; 9th January 2013, 21:15.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              moestro bonnet

                              hello, mate theres a red maestro bonnet on ebay bin price 10pound. don,t no item no but type in gauelgannet its in london. hope it helps. mark.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                maestro bonnet

                                hello,the bonnet on ebay item no is 140896883366.cheers mark.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X