fuel fillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel fillers

Just out of interest, I wondered what the market value of a good unused filler pipe for a Meastro would be?

What would you pay for one if you had just failed your MOT on it?

would you patch yours up or look for a new one?

Andy
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

I made one out of exhaust tubeing and cut what was left of the cap end and the end bit for joining on the rubber hose.
    I have no montego anymore

Comment

You can get rubber tubing that will do the job. My local hoover repair man did his with a metal hoover pipe. He just copied his old one and added the small tubes and bumbs from smaller tubes and pipes.

Unless the pipe was new I would not pay more than a tenner for some thing like that.

Comment

Being realistic £10 isn't going to get replacement pipes made up. I'd say they need to be made with steel pipe at the least to be legal and would take a bit of welding and possibly braising. I'd say £40-50 minimum. Unless you are going to ake one yourself of course, but I don't think that is what the discussion is about.
        Originally posted by secubis3 View Post
        Unless the pipe was new I would not pay more than a tenner for some thing like that.

Comment

I've got a new one still on teh shelf and £50 would be the least I'd expect to get for it if I sold it, (and it'd be a reluctant sale!).
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

The last one I sold, went for over 60 quid, and a rover 800 one recently sold on ebay for over 300!.
            800's have the same problem with rot and no new ones to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
              Being realistic £10 isn't going to get replacement pipes made up. I'd say they need to be made with steel pipe at the least to be legal and would take a bit of welding and possibly braising. I'd say £40-50 minimum. Unless you are going to ake one yourself of course, but I don't think that is what the discussion is about.

He did ask how much I would pay...I said a tenner. Now you may want to pay a fortune for parts but if the price asked is silly then why not make your own? As I see it people do not have the ability to at least try and fabricate parts that are no longer available or people who are asking silly prices are getting that price from people with no practical abilities. This in turn drives the price of parts up and only leaves those who are rich enough with serviceable cars.

That is why I detest it when people put things up for sale and put Best Offer in the price box. Yes, people would like to get the best price for their parts
              but if we don't know what ball park price they want, then we can't offer and no one can see what price they got for it either.

Cheers
              S

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
                Just out of interest, I wondered what the market value of a good unused filler pipe for a Meastro would be?

What would you pay for one if you had just failed your MOT on it?
                would you patch yours up or look for a new one?
                Andy
                ISTR the last new one I sold went for about 30 quid, couple of years ago.
                midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

My main point is the income of the fabricator. I doubt if you went anywhere and showed them the pipe and said we'll give you a tenner per item anywhere would take us seriously. Especially when they learn the actual demand for the parts.

I don't want to pay a fortune for parts at all, but if the money offered won't cover materials and time of a fabricator then it won't be an option open to anyone.
                  Originally posted by secubis3 View Post
                  He did ask how much I would pay...I said a tenner. Now you may want to pay a fortune for parts but if the price asked is silly then why not make your own? As I see it people do not have the ability to at least try and fabricate parts that are no longer available or people who are asking silly prices are getting that price from people with no practical abilities. This in turn drives the price of parts up and only leaves those who are rich enough with serviceable cars.

That is why I detest it when people put things up for sale and put Best Offer in the price box. Yes, people would like to get the best price for their parts
                  but if we don't know what ball park price they want, then we can't offer and no one can see what price they got for it either.

Cheers
                  S

Comment

As some of you will have realised i was throwing this out there as a possible item the club might be able to get re-manufactured. I just wanted to see what people would pay, to see if it was viable.

Going on what people have said it might not be a bad option.

I know when I was last sorting my Maestro out, had i needed a filler neck, I wouldn't have minded paying up to £50 for one - in either oem or re-manufactured form.

I'm going to be talking to some fabricators i know through work etc who might be able to do a small run. material cost is quite low, time is the main cost we'll see what they think, a fitter who works in our team at work seems to think it would take about an hour a pipe to sort out, if they were making a small batch up.

certainly £10 is not going to be a reality - but you never know, £40 - £60 an item might be? we'll have to see. What We can't have is a stock of filler pipes sat there having cost the club a sum of money, and no one wanting to pay the price!!

before anyone starts on about body panels - lets learn to walk before we can run!!

Andy
                    CURRENT FLEET:
                    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

The last time re-manufacturing was looked at by this club in regards to metal items, it was decided the club was unwilling to take the risk of being "lumbered" with excess stock.

This was in regards to fuel filler pockets, with initial quotes were for 10 at 65.00 each, so 100 would likely have been nearer 10% of that initial cost, but at the time it was deemed too risky by those trying to organise it to purchase so many in one go.

Hence the initial quote for 10 was deemed too expensive and the project was dropped.

Fuel filler pipes would likely cost in excess of 50.00 each even with a significant number ordered, and I doubt when it came to the crunch most would be willing to pay even that much for a new one.

Comment

Is the fuel neck a good place to start though? I'd have thought montego sills as they are nla would be a safer start for the club. As I said remaking would be tricky as they are fairly complicated. Are there that many cars that need a new one?

Comment

Working...
                        X