Hif 44 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hif 44 help

Hi all hope someone can help! On the carb I've got it has a dyphragram cold start thingy, can I bypass this by linking to two outlets together or should they be blocked off? And how does this affect cold starting?
    Also is the fuel shut off valve a solid unit? On mine the pin on float side moves in a few mills before it pushes up - is this normal
    Thanks in advance
    Ed

Originally posted by Stillnotfinished View Post
    Hi all hope someone can help! On the carb I've got it has a dyphragram cold start thingy, can I bypass this by linking to two outlets together or should they be blocked off? And how does this affect cold starting?
    Hi, If the vacuum diaphragm is punctured the best course of action is to replace it, this will give the best cold start enrichment and provide extra enrichment under acceleration whilst the choke is on.

If you remove it then the engine will run too lean on choke and have severe flat spots on acceleration when cold, if the rest of the system is set correctly.

If you join the two stubs together then much the same thing will happen but to a very slight lesser effect.

To learn more about the vacuum switch, more info here.

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3101

Also is the fuel shut off valve a solid unit? On mine the pin on float side moves in a few mills before it pushes up - is this normal
    Thanks in advance
    Ed
    Yes the movement of the pin is normal. The needle valve and seat assembly is three seperate parts making up one component, a filter, a main body and a needle valve. The needle part has a spring loaded pin that can compress once the valve is shut to help reduce wear on the needle by maintaining a consistant closed pressure.

Comment

Thanks for the reply
      Where can I get a dyphragram from?
      Thanks ed

Comment

re choke

thanks for the information about the choke switch control unit.

Comment

Thanks for the reply
          Where can I get a dyphragram from?
          Thanks ed
          Hi

The vacuum switches for each model are all physically the same but differ slightly in the amount of air they bleed into the choke.

Any working vacuum switch will be better than a faulty one or none at all. A good replacement that works well in all models is the modified switch for the1.6 S series engine, LZX2292.

I did a quick search on ebay and found this one, but if you spend more time you might even find a LZX2292. This one will be better than nothing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Mae...item439fd7194d

Comment

www.bit.ly/Z5zrJM

Try that.
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Great thanks for the replies, I'll look at getting one, another prob with the carb is I don't seem to be getting any fuel up the jet anymore, was running for a while , could not having the dyphragram not connected up be the problem?
              Thanks again

Comment

Great thanks for the replies, I'll look at getting one, another prob with the carb is I don't seem to be getting any fuel up the jet anymore, was running for a while , could not having the dyphragram not connected up be the problem?
                Thanks again
                Hi

Just having the vacuum switch removed will not be effecting the problem of having no fuel from the carb main jet.

What else have you done with the carb since the engine ran?

Comment

Adjusted float level and cleaned carb! :-(
                  That's all ,everything seems ok still runs on easy start!
                  Just dosent look like fuel is getting up into the chamber

Comment

Just got it running :-)
                    ....but I've got fuel coming out the fuel overflow, as in squirting out, also there is lots of fuel around intake
                    What's up now?!??

Comment

sounds like the float jet is sticking, closed at first (won't start) and now stuck slightly open (fuel out the overflow).
                      midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

carb

yes sounds like the float needle not seating properly maybe a bit of muck on the needle seat

Comment

Cheers ill clean carb out..... Again!

Comment

Adjusted float level and cleaned carb! :-(
                            That's all ,everything seems ok still runs on easy start!
                            Just dosent look like fuel is getting up into the chamber
                            Hi

It is possible that you have not adjusted the float hight correctly.

To set float height you first need to remove the bi-metal strip assembly and main jet. Invert the carb and lay a thin straight edge (I use a 6in steel rule) over the carb body and the centre of the curved indent of the float. Measure the smallest gap between the centre of the float curved indent and the straight edge with narrow or wire feeler gauges; set the gap to 1mm 0.040in by bending the brass tang on the float. The measurement is taken without the pin on the needle valve being compressed.

Comment

...well cleaned it all out, found nothing but now it runs without fuel pouring out! Haven't had much time to have a proper play, but seems good
                              Thanks everyone
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X