dish alloys - paint type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dish alloys - paint type?

Anyone know what sort of paint Rover used to paint these with? Just bought some nitromors to strip the paint back as they are bubbling a lot. It just isn't eating into the paint at all!

Bead blasting is the best way, with a pro chemical dip before hand.

No idea what paint they used, but it's darn thick!

Comment

Was it just not your regular Silver-leaf Metallic (MME 421), with a large dosage of clear lacquer? In the past I've refurbed both Cheese Graters and Cross Spokes with the stuff and it's been pretty-much bob-on in terms of colour-match. Though I've never had dish alloys.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Nitromors is useless these days. I left it on for a good few hours in the evening so I knew it wouldn't dry out. Still didn't lift the paint.

Comment

I used something a bit more industrial/commercial when i did mine, worked a treat.
          However the name escapes me, sorry i can't be of more help. I can tell you however i bought it in Toolstation.

Comment

Even with a far more hardcore paint stripper this paint is too much. With many coats of stripper the laquer and paint turn to a flexible gel that is a bugger to shift. Considering getting a few bead blasting quotes before forgetting the whole idea!

Comment

Shouldn't be too much mate, local place near me strips them and paints them for about £50 each so stripping on its own should be a fraction of that.
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I just paid £51 a wheel to have mine done - dunno what the exact colour was but i think it looks pretty close to factory, plus as well the place i used resolved any other minor issues with the wheels..

Comment

Working...
                X