Y reg MG Maestro 1600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y reg MG Maestro 1600

I have had an email from the BBC, they need an Y reg MG Maestro 1600 for filming apparently.

Well, i have a bit of a problem in that i don't know of any......

I have queried whether another MG1600 can be used and suitable Y plates applied would be of use, but apparently not?

Any leads?

Originally posted by Oli View Post
    I have had an email from the BBC, they need an Y reg MG Maestro 1600 for filming apparently.

Well, i have a bit of a problem in that i don't know of any......

I have queried whether another MG1600 can be used and suitable Y plates applied would be of use, but apparently not?

Any leads?

To borrow or buy? I'd be wary...
    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Who'd have thought auntie to be so pedantic?

Comment

oh be carefull it mite be the top gear programme where they distroy the car with a piano droping on it from the sky.just to upset the owners club like they did with the marinas they distroyed.so keep away

Comment

Hasn't Norman got MG 1600 green one? not sure on the year tho
          MG Maestro turbo 437
          367 Bhp

Comment

On the assumption that it is not THAT programme (i.e. on BBC2), I would still advise caution to anyone offering to loan a car for filming purposes. Based on the past experiences of several members from the Range Rover Register (who I know), find out beforehand what are the needs of the film company. In other words, do they want the car to be handed over to them lock, stock and barrel for them to use without consideration of who will be driving it, how it will be looked after and where it will be kept when not being used? Are they happy for the owner of the vehicle to remain present with it during the duration it is on loan? If not then be concerned. What insurance do they have in place should your vehicle get damaged and how water-tight is it should a claim be made? After all, a few scratches and dings might appear to be nothing to worry about by a film production company (some can be caused when filming equipment is attached to the vehicle's bodywork), but for the owner it spells despair, cost and inconvenience as they have them dealt with by professionals at a later date.

I know the Range Rover Register asks each member to make the same enquiries and ask themselves the same questions before deciding whether to loan their pride and joy to a film company.

The same advice also applies if a magazine or even a publicity department for a particular vehicle manufacturer wants to borrow your vehicle.

On the subject of the film company actually wanting to buy the vehicle, again consider whether you are happy to swap your pride and joy for a bundle of cash and relinquish all control over its actual destiny - which we do whenever we sell a car anyway. For some people there is a lot of joy seeing their car on the big screen and saying to others that it was 'their' car that was used. However, when a car gets accidentally or deliberately damaged or destroyed as part of the storyline, the owner then gets upset and demands to know why the film company did not disclose this at the time of agreeing to buy the vehicle. Film companies are not legally (or morally) obliged to disclose this information, so don't think they will automatically look after your car in the same manner as it was accustomed to when in your custodianship.

Hope this proves of use.
            Last edited by David3500; 2nd January 2015, 10:28.

Comment

mg 1600

Mine is A reg Peter, but I don't think that there is any difference in appearance from Y reg. Excellent point though David,unless you got a cast iron guarantee ,I don't think any enthusiast would.
              Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

After to Porche debarcle on Top Gear be very carefull as they WON'T tell you what they want it for.

Comment

Well, I have a black Y-reg MG1600, so feel free to put them in touch with me and I will see if I can find out any more info
                  1983 (Y) MG 1600
                  1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                  1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                  1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                  1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                  1990 Clubman D
                  1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Working...
                  X