Solder or Scotch clip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder or Scotch clip?

My headlight adaptor is broken and needs replacing. I have one from halfrauds and was wondering what is the best way to put it in?
    Is it best to bare the relevent wire and solder the new one on or is it better to use bullet connectors or a scotch clip or just twist the wires together and tape them up?

I am going to be doing some rewiring where it has shown through or new components added and want to take my time and do it correctly.

Cheers
    S

Soldering and heat shrink is the norm
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Comment

On something so important I'd think it through. Yes soldering is the norm but it can and will cause the wires to become very brittle especially closest to the solder. Wiring looms work well as there is no soldering. The wires are crimped into the plug for the ecu or internal car plugs and then crimped at the other end to the sensor or plug.

When the soldered wires are allowed to vibrate loosely in the engine bay you can run into breakages a few weeks/months down the road.

I'd suggest breaking into the car loom and chasing the wires back as far as you can. Do use solder and heat shrink but do it far enough back that you then wrap the wires back into the car loom holding the wires firmly and tightly to get away from the vibration issue I mention.

Comment

Solder and heat shrink would be the best method. Locate the solder joint in a straight or vibration free curve and make sure the soldering is done well and you should have no issues with it.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
        X