Bumper colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper colour

My end caps on my metal bumpers are going grey and I want to return them to black.
    My question may sound silly but what is the best way to do that? Is it rubdown then spray? Is it rub down and brush paint them? and is there anyway I can keep them looking black instead of them turning grey?

I use boot polish on my metal bumpers as well and that helps keep them clean and keeps the water off them.

Cheers
    S

plastic spray paint

I have used Halfords plastic spray paint quite a lot on interior plastics and it works very well. Only tried the light and dark grey, but I assume they do a black. A degrease and a light rub over with fine grade emery paper can only help. Had no issues with it flaking off.

Comment

bumper end caps

ive always use carplan black trim wax on my end caps also on all black plastic
      trim ie black plastic door mirrors and it does a good job

Comment

I'd be tempted to try the various different "Back to Black" solutions to get rid of the discoloration rather than paint and thats what I do on my mirrors, door handles and the like. I think that the end caps are polypropylene which doesn't lend itself to paint adherence too well, however it is a bit like being stuck between a rock and a hard place because all the trim waxes usually contain silicones which also stop paint from sticking properly. The trim waxes also unfortunately wash off in time with rain but this stuff http://www.wurth.co.nz/cat/files/ass...s/page0366.pdf
        is meant to be a good long term treatment. The greying is due to oxidation and UV attack over time.
        Another option to try is the careful application of a heat gun, about 6" away from the surface, keeping it moving. Obviously practice first or you could end up with distortion/damage/useless blob of goo
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I'm a bit of a geek with keeping cars clean etc with clearly too many polishes / waxes / sealants and as I said I know it's geeky but I actually enjoy cleaning and polishing my car so you see it gleaming.

Anyway unfortunately I've no real exterior plastics on the cars however gtechnic products get very good reviews for exterior plastics for long term durability. It appears to be the go to product for a lot of mini owners as apparently their plastics fade like the old vauxhall flame red.

One of my mates used it and swears by it though the area you're applying it to needs to be spotlessly clean etc. with no residue from any previous attempt for it to last.

I appreciate it's expensive but apparently it does work and last.

Here's a link http://www.gtechniq.com/products/c4-...-trim-restorer
          Last edited by macca666; 11th June 2016, 10:32.

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
          Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
          Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

Try buying some peanut oil from the supermarket and brush it onto them.
            When you get around all 4 corners then do it again. Finally wipe over with a cloth to remove any excess.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

New from Rimmers

A left and right hand bumper ends are available new from Rimmers. I don't know if they are for the front or back of the car, if indeed there are four different mouldings? Only £10 each plus vat.
              Last edited by Jez; 12th June 2016, 08:09. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
              X